MSD men’s varsity golf team beats St. Thomas to continue their strong start to the season

Theron Piccininni

Starting off the season strong. Devan Chahal and Dylan Marrone pose for a picture when walking between holes during a match.

Mateo Venero and Noah Lechtenstein

On Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 3:30 pm, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s varsity golf team went against St. Thomas High School at Ft. Lauderdale Country Club.

Going into this game, the Eagles had a record of 3-0, including victories over St. Thomas and Cypress Bay. Their third game of their 3-0 winning streak was against Cardinal Gibbons High School when they won 155 to 181.

They looked to continue their astonishing start to the season by going 4-0, and beat St. Thomas for the second time this season.

The Eagles held a consistent lead throughout the match, limiting their strokes and putts to the best of their ability.

With the scores tallied at the end of the match, MSD was revealed to be the winning team, scoring a total of 147 strokes (+3) compared to St. Thomas’s 150 strokes (+6.)

The best score of the match belonged to junior TJ Thompson, who shot a 31, five under par, with a hole-out on the first hole from 76 yards for an eagle and a chip-in for birdie on hole three.

“I shot 31 (-5) which is my best nine in my career. I hit the ball pretty good and had two hole outs,” Thompson said.

Another Eagle to contribute towards the victory was sophomore Jayden Thuraisingham, who shot a 38 (+2).

“I’ve been playing pretty decent but I am happy where my game is trending right now,” Thuraisingham said.

Another key player in the Eagles’ victory is sophomore, Ryan Shimony who helped contribute to the big win by shooting a 41 (+5).

“Even though I struggled, my teammates’ amazing performances carried the team to victory,” Shimony said.

The Eagles look to continue their momentum throughout the season, especially in their efforts to remain undefeated. Their next match is Tuesday, Sept. 28 at Country Club of Coral Springs against Spanish River.