Cady Studios receives mixed reactions from MSD students and parents over senior photos

CADY Studios
Theron Piccininni takes her senior photos with CADY studios in five different scenes. To get the hard drive for the photos, she had to pay $890.

Maeghan Koury, Writer

For the 2021-2022 school year, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is using Cady Studios for senior portraits. While MSD has utilized FoxMar in previous years, the recent switch to Cady Studios has seen a mixed reaction from students and parents. Many feel the switch has made the process smoother and less of a hassle for students and parents. On the other hand, some feel Cady Studios’ prices are unreasonably high.

Cady Studios offers two senior portrait options, Traditional sessions, and an Elite & Most Popular Session. The traditional session offers standard studio background scenes and photo retouching. The Elite & Most Popular session includes hair and makeup, personal photographer, video presentations, photo retouching, as well as destination and outdoor scenes.

If a student chooses to do a traditional session, the price ranges from $30-$75 based on their choice of a Simple, Standard, or Legacy session. These packages offer one, two, or three studio scenes.

“Although the photos, quality, and experience was great, it was very overpriced,” senior Reese Garrity said.

The Elite & most Popular session options include Elite, Elite Plus, and Elite unlimited packages. These sessions have a higher price range from $199- $399, not including add-ons. With add-ons like special destination scenes as well as hair and makeup, the price can rise to about $2,000.

“The students that have gotten pictures with Cady [Studio] are very happy with the pictures, staff, and studio setup,” yearbook advisor Sarah Learner said.

FoxMar’s basic sessions range from $25 – $50 and offer many options similar to Cady Studios. While FoxMar does not offer hair and make-up, their most expensive package is $49.95 which includes a yearbook photo, cap & gown photo, online proofs free of charge, full-length poses, three additional outfits, elite poses, and digital backdrops.

In addition to their prices, some students feel it is a downside that Cady Studios does not release senior cap and gown pictures until the Spring. Whereas with FoxMar, senior pictures are available in the fall.

On Friday, Oct. 15th, and Monday, Oct 18th, Cady Studios came to MSD to take yearbook pictures for all seniors who had not scheduled an appointment at one of their studio locations. Photos were taken in the auditorium for $10.
“Taking my senior pictures with Cady [Studios] was a wonderful experience and the photos turned out great,” senior Reese Garrity said.

Students that have taken their Senior pictures with Cady Studios have said while the pictures turned out great the process could’ve been smoother and more organized. Despite this and the high price point, many seniors have expressed happiness with what they’ve received.