[Brief] MSD host annual Day of Service and Love on 02/14

Ashveen Saini, Social Media Editor

On Monday, Feb. 14, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will honor the memory of the 17 lives lost and those who were injured in the Feb. 14, 2018, tragedy. The school is honoring those with a “Day of Service and Love” where students will engage in service activities to help their community. Monday will be a non-academic school day in which students will participate in service activities.

A mandatory intention form was sent out to parents, where they could indicate whether their child or children would be attending school or not. If their child or children were attending school they had to select which service activity they would be participating in, and if not, they had to specify that they approve an excused absence of their student or students. These forms were due on Jan. 21 and if the form was not completed and turned in on time, the student was automatically given an excused absence for the day.

For those who signed up to participate in the day of service, projects will begin at 7:40 a.m. and students will be dismissed at 11:00 a.m. Students must arrive at school at 7:40 a.m. as no late students will be allowed to participate.

Students who will be getting dropped off should get dropped off in the main parking lot which is located at the front of the school. Students who drive themselves to school are able to park in the senior lot which is located off Holmberg Road. All students must enter through the main red gates at the front of the school.

Once students have entered campus, they should look for tables that are set up in alphabetical order to check-in for attendance. Students should walk over to the letter that corresponds to their last name.

After you have gone to the tables and given your name for attendance, students will be able to move to whatever area their project is being held in.

Feeding the First Responders Breakfast will be held in the cafeteria, the Marjory’s Garden cleanup will be held in Marjory’s Garden which is located at the southwest back end of the school. Campus Beautification will be held in the main courtyard, and Spending a Mindful Morning with the MSD Mind and Body Club will be held in the media center.

Students who are participating in these activities should bring their MSD ID, a bottle of water and gloves if you are taking part in the Marjory’s Garden service project. No backpacks or bags will be allowed on campus.

For students who would like lunch there will be a grab-and-go lunch in the cafeteria.