BSU hosts Black History Month show tryouts

Gianna McGinty, Writer

This year’s annual Black History Month show tryouts took place on Monday, Oct. 24 through Friday, Oct. 28. MSD’s Black Student Union puts on the show every year, holding tryouts a few weeks before for the different dances and acts that will be included in the show such as jazz, funk, poems, the hosts, instrumental, or vocal performances, hip-hop, and more.

This year’s theme is the evolution of Black culture. The main goal of the performances is to give the audiences a look into the beauty of Black culture in many aspects.

“Personally, what I love about BSU is the fact that Black students on the campus of MSD have an inclusive space where they are free to be themselves and love their culture,” Black Student Union President Noldine Belizaire said. “Without the Black Student Union, there’s always a lingering need for a sense of home on campus.”

Belizaire has been president for the past two years and oversees the show. She loves how students on campus can be themselves and love their culture with BSU.

One act performing in the show is Legends of Destiny, MSD’s step team.

“ I am very excited for the show, we have always been an act to watch, so I can’t wait for everyone to see us again this year,” senior and Legends of Destiny captain Roveschney Veillard said.

Tryout results will be released Wednesday, Nov. 2 and Thursday, Nov. 3.