[Brief] Subtropical Storm Nicole heads towards South Florida, threatening school closures

Vincent Ciullo, Writer

Newly formed tropical cyclone, Subtropical Storm Nicole, is tracking its way to South Florida. Nicole developed early on Monday, Nov. 7, and while the storm’s direct path is still uncertain, concerns have arisen due to its proximity to the state of Florida.

“It’s a little worrying how short of a notice we have to prepare for the storm,” sophomore Bailey Carter said. “I hope there won’t be any damage, considering that the storm is still weak, but you never know.”

Florida still has not recovered from the impacts by Hurricane Ian, a Category four hurricane, in late September which made landfall on the state’s southwest coast. Infrastructure on the coast was destroyed or extremely damaged. While South Florida was not in the cone of the storm, cities throughout the area received widespread damage from wind and rain.

Although Nicole is only forecast to become a Category one hurricane on its approach to Florida, precautions have already begun across the state.

“I definitely think that supplies running out are bound to happen,” sophomore Madison Friedman said. “We just had a hurricane not too long ago. It’s hard to prepare when you don’t know in advance, especially for people with busy lives.”

There has been no word from Broward County Public Schools regarding the closing of schools. A hurricane watch is currently in effect along Florida’s east coast, from Hallandale Beach to the Volusia/Brevard county line. Nicole is forecast to make landfall near Jupiter on Thursday, Nov. 10.

The Eagle Eye will provide updates on the storm’s track and possible school closure.