MSD men’s varsity soccer defeats South Plantation in their ‘Senior Night’ game

Carolina Ochoa Lozano

The seven seniors on the MSD men’s varsity soccer team celebrated their senior night. During half-time, the seniors had their senior night ceremony where they looked back at their best moments in high school soccer. The final score of the game was 5-0.

Carolina Ochoa Lozano, Photo Editor, Humans of MSD Editor

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s varsity soccer team faced South Plantation High School on Tuesday, Jan. 10. This game was extra special as it was the team’s Senior Night, honoring the leading members of the team who would graduate at the end of the 2023 school year.

Starting the game with kickoff, captain Tomer Yair (6) gave the Eagles the first possession. They had possession until a penalty, giving the South Plantation Paladins a free kick. However, the free kick was unsuccessful, allowing the Eagles to maintain the ball.

The Eagles eventually scored with a kick by forward Aquiles Yibirin (15), and the team celebrated down the sideline.

“I think we are just really committed right now and trying to win,” said Yibirin. “We are all getting closer every practice and getting better chemistry the more we play.”

In the last couple minutes of the first half, defender Robbie Alhadeff (8) scored.

“We had no struggle throughout the game,” Alhadeff said. “We played very well.”

As part of the Eagles’ “Senior Night,” the senior captains’ parents set up a ceremony at halftime. The seven seniors walked down the field and gave their parents flowers in appreciation for them.

At the beginning of the second half, the Eagles started off strong with two goals. For the first goal, Alhadeff passed to Yair, who shot the ball, deflecting off the goalie back to Yair for him to score. Soon after, forward Jonah Burke (23) also scored, increasing the score to 4-0.

The game ended with a final goal from midfielder Joaquin Gonzales (10), who was assisted by defender Javeer Ian Selveraj (5) to make the score 5-0.

The Eagles will face South Broward High School on Wednesday, Jan. 18. The team looks to keep their successful season alive.