MSD women’s varsity soccer team defeats Taravella after final district game

Carolina Ochoa Lozano

Centerback Katelyn Campanella (9) waits to receive a pass from her teammate. The MSD women’s varsity soccer team won their district finals against J.P. Taravella High School by a score of 2-0.

Natalia Lopez, Writer

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School varsity women’s soccer team played their final game of districts on Thursday, Feb. 3 against J.P Taravella High School. The Eagles prepared all season for this game, hoping to make it out with the title of district championships for the fifth year in a row.

The game began slowly with the ball moving back and forth between the possession of both teams, scoring no goal. After the Eagles were able to gain momentum, they maintained the ball for the majority of the time, heading towards their first goal of the game. The first quarter remained at 0-0.

At the start of the second quarter, the Eagles were able to maintain focus on the ball, which helped score their first goal of the game by forward Emma McGregor (25). With the Eagles in the lead, they continued to move through the game with many breakways. The team began to find themselves having trouble communicating with one another, allowing the ball to get past multiple times.

“We were giving the ball away a few times in dangerous areas, which could have resulted in a goal for the other team, but our defenders quickly got the ball back,” forward Breanna Gordon (22) said.

Following into the third quarter, the score remained 1-0. As the Eagles continued to lead the game, another goal was scored by midfielder Layla Segalnick (15). Moving through both the third and fourth quarter, the game began to slow down with no goals from either team. The game soon came to an end with the final score being 2-0, making the Eagles district champions.

The Eagles look towards the next phase of their playoff run in the regional quarterfinals against South Dade High School on Tuesday, Feb. 7.