MSD seniors celebrate unofficial college commitment day

Carolina Ochoa Lozano

Senior Class Senator Alya Abufele, Senior Class President Renata Garcia and Senior Class Vice President Gabriella Fayad show off their college commitments. April 27, was the unofficial college commitment day at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where the Seniors wore their college attire.

Anna Horowitz, News Editor

Seniors at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School showed up to school wearing college apparel for an unofficial College Commitment Day on Thursday, April 27. The day-wide celebration was organized by @msdcolleges2023 on Instagram, an unaffiliated school account that has over 700 followers and features MSD seniors getting accepted and committing to colleges.

The unofficial event was organized due to conflicting schedules, with most colleges requiring students to commit to their university of choice on May 1, the day of the AP United States Government and Politics, Chemistry and Spanish Literature and Culture exams. The senior class scheduled that day as well for students to wear the gear of their college they committed to. This would keep students that are taking those exams unable to participate in the festivity.

“The school and class board doesn’t organize one officially and in the past years the college account did,” Senior and @msdcolleges2023 account creator Morgan Fink said. “After speaking with our senior class president, Renata, she gave me the green light to post about it.”

To allow seniors to show off their school pride, the Instagram account posted the announcement of the unofficial celebration on April 18 and it got over 100 likes. On Thursday, seniors attended school in response to the message, showing off their committed school and announcing to the rest of MSD their decisions with pride.

“I participated because I wanted to celebrate the huge milestone of committing to a college with all my friends,” senior Geetanjali Srivastava said.

As the last day of school readily approaches for students, seniors are preparing to fly off to college and other future plans, soon graduating and leaving the nest as a proud Stoneman Douglas Eagle.