Brayden McKluskey commits to school for baseball

Pitcher and second basemen Brayden McCluskey (5) pitches to the opposing team during the fall season of 2022. Today, the senior celebrates commitment to Hillsborough Community College where he will be furthering his athletic and academic career.
Caitlyn Acosta

Senior Brayden McCluskey officially verbally announced his commitment to Hillsborough Community College on Oct. 25. Starting in the fall of 2024, McCluskey will be furthering his athletic and academic career at the junior college level of college sports.

McCluskey is currently a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and is a member of the varsity baseball team. McCluskey has played for the MSD baseball team since his freshman year and became a part of the varsity team beginning his junior year. McCluskey contributes to the team as a pitcher and second baseman.

McCluskey has been playing baseball for practically his entire life and has fallen in love with the sport along the way. McCluskey sees his commitment as an opportunity to continue staying active and playing the sport he is passionate for.

“I started playing baseball when I was three years old and from then on out, I guess I just never really stopped,” McCluskey said.

During the commitment process many different factors go into making the final decision. Since it’s for the next four years of his life, McCluskey had strong feelings about where he was going to college.

“The location is one of the main factors that influenced my decision,” McCluskey said. “The proximity of the campus keeps me local.”

Due to Hillsborough Community College being not too far from home, it gives McCluskey the opportunity to stay close but he is still able to break out from his shell. The campus is approximately three hours from his home in Parkland.

McCluskey’s commitment process has lasted for about a year and a half. During that time McCluskey worked hard by training constantly in and out of practice to upkeep his skills and improve in any possible aspect.

Brayden’s work ethic is what makes him special. He has really improved over the past three years into being able to earn this scholarship. Brayden does a really good job of keeping us in the ball game when things are close.

— Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald

McCluskey’s teammates enjoy playing with him because of his hardworking skills and good sportsmanship. They wish him the absolute best, which they believe he deserves due to his work ethic that he brings to the field day in and day out.

“Brayden has always been a really hard worker and as a pitcher and a second baseman he contributes a lot towards our team,” senior James Smith said.

While at college, McCluskey plans to continue to play the sport that he loves. After his four years playing baseball at Hillsborough Community College, McCluskey hopes to graduate with a business degree and plans to find a way to implement baseball in his future life.