Photo permission from Austin McClellan
Center defender Austin McClellan swims towards the opposing team to move the ball down the pool. McClellan has been playing waterpolo since he was little and plans to continue playing the future.

Senior Austin McClellan plans to lead men’s varsity water polo team to another successful season

Strapping on his water polo cap, senior Austin McClellan gets ready to dive into the water. Before the referee blows the whistle, McClellan swims over to his place as center defender and prepares for the game ahead of him.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s water polo team has been able to consistently put successful seasons together over the past couple of years. During this time, plenty of their success has been impacted by McClellan.

McClellan started swimming when he was little, but never loved it. He later discovered water polo and has stuck with the sport ever since.

“I love the team aspect of it [water polo] and decided to play in my sophomore year,” McClellan said.

In addition to playing on the school team, McClellan also joined the Florida East Coast Water Polo Club team in Boca Raton during the off season, keeping his love for the game. For the Florida East Coast Water Polo Club, he practices at Boca and Mullins Park in Coral Springs for MSD.

In July 2023, McClellan played at the international water polo camp at the University of Florida. He got to focus on technical skills like defense, passing, shooting and improve in all areas. Shooting. He also got the chance to meet people from different states and different countries.

“One of the things I love about this sport is that it lets me meet some of my best friends and travel to different places,” McClellan said.

Last season, the MSD water polo team won districts and qualified for the first regional game. This year, they are trying to win the district competition and qualify for regionals again. To achieve this goal, McClellan plans to work on his defensive skills.

Not only is McClellan a strong player in the water, he is an even better teammate. He is always there for his teammates and does his best to help out. This leadership is inspiring to others who compete on the team.

“Austin gives a lot of guidance for us,” wing Keith Bronson said. “If anyone is ever confused about the rules or the game, he is always the first one to step up and help them out. He is also very good at staying calm and having the qualities that a leader would have.”

Outside of water polo, McClellan likes to spend time with his friends, go to the gym, and watch TV. With his sights set on the future, McClellan will attend Florida State University in the fall. He plans to join the water polo club team in college and hopes to coach or referee in the future as well.