Senior Jack Servaites leads the men’s varsity basketball team in the 2023-2024 season

Captain and point guard Jack Servaites (5) runs down the basketball court, following a change in possession against Nova High School. The Eagles ended up winning the game by a final score of 59-52.
Ryan Shimony

Trailing throughout the entirety of the game, senior and varsity basketball captain Jack Servaties aspired to a comeback win against Nova High School. After being down by 10 points at halftime, Servaites led the Eagles to only face a six-point deficit entering the fourth quarter of the game. Once the quarter began, Servaites made a game-tying three, turning the momentum away from Nova in favor of the Eagles. Now in the lead, Servaites made a handful of shots to solidify the Eagles victory over Nova.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s varsity basketball team began its season with an entirely new group of starters. From transfers to graduating seniors, the team needed new people to step up. One of these rising players was point guard and team captain Jack Servaites (5).

Servaites began playing recreational basketball when he was just six years old. Fascinated by Russell Westbrook’s skills on the Oklahoma City Thunder, Servaites knew he wanted to be a point guard.

“I started watching him [Russel Westbrook] a lot and began playing more,” Servaites said. “I then started playing more and fell in love with it.”

After playing Parkland recreational basketball for a few years, Servaites joined the Triple Double Tarheels travel team in eighth grade. While he went around the travel circuit nationally, playing in different places, Servaites also landed a spot on the MSD varsity basketball team his freshman year. Although he quit travel to focus on college applications and senior year classes, Servaites has remained a point guard for the Eagles throughout all of his high school career.

With the season coming to an end, the Eagles currently hold a 6-10 record, having not gotten off to the best start. However, Servaites is confident that he can help turn things around and lead the team to a district championship.

“We haven’t gotten off to the greatest start, but we still are going to win districts,” Servaites said. “We gotta play harder and communicate more. We will figure it out and get the job done.”

Outside of basketball, Servaites has picked up some new hobbies. Recently, he has gotten into golfing and fishing. While senior year comes with many responsibilities and assignments to finish, Servaites has effectively been able to manage his time.

“I want to be a better player and man on and off the court,” Servaites said. “I’m a senior now so I’m excited for the new chapter of my life and I’ll see where that takes me.”

With applications in and some acceptances sent back, Servaites sees his future at the University of Central Florida. Servaites does not plan to play basketball in college but will instead be holding onto his fond memories of the sport while enjoying a break from it. Despite not being committed, he is excited for what is to come, wherever he ends up.