Offensive line coach Kelly Simon instructs running back Anthony Diaz (3) and Austin Mares (76) on what to do for the next play. MSD's Homecoming football game was played on Friday, Sept. 20, at 6:00 p.m. at Cumber Stadium. The Eagles played against Boyd Anderson High School where they suffered a loss of 41-7. "I felt that our effort as a team was lacking," Diaz said. "We definitely need to improve for upcoming games."
Offensive line coach Kelly Simon instructs running back Anthony Diaz (3) and Austin Mares (76) on what to do for the next play. MSD’s Homecoming football game was played on Friday, Sept. 20, at 6:00 p.m. at Cumber Stadium. The Eagles played against Boyd Anderson High School where they suffered a loss of 41-7. “I felt that our effort as a team was lacking,” Diaz said. “We definitely need to improve for upcoming games.”
Isabella Candela
Categories:

MSD varsity football team suffers third straight loss during homecoming game

On Friday, Sept. 20 the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Eagles varsity football team took on the Boyd H. Anderson Cobras for their homecoming game. Douglas went into the game looking for their first win of the season after losing their first two. Boyd Anderson was going for their second win of the season after starting 1–3.

Early on in the first quarter, the Eagle defense started struggling. After forcing a Boyd H. Anderson punt, the Cobras started moving the ball easily, and got on the scoreboard first with a touchdown.

“The thing I feel like we did best was keeping our composure,” middle linebacker Cody Rawda (21) said. “Even on a hard game with the way it was and not giving up on ourselves.”

The Eagles started the next offensive drive backed up near their own end zone. Under Boyd H. Anderson’s pressure, the Eagles fumbled in the end zone and could not recover it, resulting in a Cobra touchdown and two possession deficit for the Eagles.

Looking to make a comeback, the Eagles took a kick return down to midfield, giving the offense better field position than the previous drive. MSD continued playing sloppily and could not keep the ball, fumbling again and allowing Boyd H. Anderson to recover the ball for the second time in the first quarter.

The fumble gave Boyd H. Anderson great field position, leading them to easily march down the field and score, taking a 21–0 lead against the Eagles.

“Right now we’re beating ourselves, that’s what’s going on,” offensive coordinator Kevin Jackson said. “If we stay focused we’ll be sure to get some scores.”

The Eagles could not manage any offensive success in the second quarter, as it was more or less the same as the first. Boyd H. Anderson took a 28–0 lead heading into halftime, completely dominating and shutting out the Eagles’ whole team.

The Eagles would need a huge second half comeback to turn this game over, and it started well for them. They forced the Cobras to fumble, leading MSD to have the ball inside the Cobra’s 20 yard line.

Unfortunately for the Eagles, their turnover woes continued. With another fumble, the ball was again recovered by Boyd H. Anderson. The turnover quickly led to another Cobra score, extending their lead to 34–0.

“What I can improve on is reading the field better and making more accurate throws, I will do this by practicing on and off the field,” quarterback Jaxson Anger (18) said.

The Eagles allowed one more touchdown before scoring one of their own, not getting shut out as the final score ended in a decisive Cobra win, 41–7.

Still looking for their first win of the season, the Eagles’ next game comes Friday, Sept. 27. They will be taking on the Boca Raton Bobcats at Boca Raton High School, hoping to get the win they failed to this time.

About the Contributors
Natalia Solera
Natalia Solera, Reporter
Natalia Solera is a sophomore at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. She is a second-year reporter. She loves listening to music from every genre and enjoys doing sports photography.
Ella Bernbaum, Reporter
Ella Bernbaum is a sophomore at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. She is a first-year reporter. She plays travel soccer and enjoys spending time with her family and friends.
Noah Lechtenstein
Noah Lechtenstein, Sports Editor
Noah Lechtenstein is a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and a Sports Editor. He enjoys playing basketball and hanging out with friends.
Isabella Candela, Reporter
Isabella Candela is a freshman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. She plays basketball and enjoys listening to music and playing flag football in her free time.
$680
$1200

$680
$1200