Jessie Gesund
Attacker Kaitlyn Irwin (3) rushes upfield to advance on the Pine Crest Panthers’ goal. Irwin scored five goals to contribute to the 13-8 win over the Panthers.

MSD women’s varsity lacrosse team defeats Pine Crest with a final score of 13-8

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Eagles women’s varsity lacrosse team played against the Pine Crest High School Panthers on Thursday, Feb. 15 at Cumber Stadium.

Following a 20-4 victory over Western High School at home on Monday, Feb. 12, this was the second game of the season for the Lady Eagles. On the other hand, this was also the second game of the season for the Panthers, following a loss to St. John Paul II Academy.

The game began with Pine Crest coming out strong, scoring in the opening minutes of the game. This goal gave them the early edge with a lead of 1-0, just two minutes into the game.

After the Eagles allowed the opening goal of the game, the Eagles wasted no time responding right back to the Panthers as they scored three straight goals. Two of these shots were made by attacker Taylor McGovern (4), and the other one was from attacker Stephanie Bilsky (25). Despite allowing another goal, the Eagles held a 3-2 lead as the first quarter came to an end.

“I think we did a good job not forcing passes and being smart with the ball,” midfielder Gracyn Haynes (2) said.

The second quarter began with McGovern scoring her third goal of the game, giving the Eagles a two goal advantage. However, Pine Crest vastly responded, scoring three straight goals to give the Panthers a 5-4 lead over the Eagles.

The Eagles quickly responded to the Panthers after falling behind. The Lady Eagles scored three straight goals. The streak began with attacker Kaitlyn Irwin (3) tying it up after scoring her first goal of the game.

Following her goal, attacker Lilly Shortz (20) scored her first of the game. Then, Irwin delivered once again. After these goals, Pine Crest scored two straight goals, tying the game up at 7-7 going into halftime.

The second half was all Eagles, as they shut out the Panthers throughout the entire third quarter. Additionally, MSD took their lead right back from Pine Crest, following goals by both Irwin and McGovern. They held a 9-7 lead over the Panthers going into the fourth quarter.

Just like the third quarter, the fourth opened up with two goals by Irwin and McGovern. They gave the Eagles a 11-7 lead, halfway through the final period.

“I think the team communicated very well today,” goalkeeper Addison Sacks (55) said.

Pine Crest responded right away to the Eagles’ pair of goals, but it wasn’t enough. After narrowing their deficit to three, Haynes and Irwin responded with goals, giving the Eagles a 13-8 lead. This was the final score of the game, as it resulted in an Eagles victory over the Panthers.

“I think just the effort and the total team approach—you know, that’s, I always talk about effort,” Head Coach Scott Iardella said. “Like when you’re out in the field, get out there and hustle, give it your all. And I think the team did that today. We have a lot of talented players on the team. And I said before the game, that if we play as a team, we will likely win, and we need to do that, and they did that.”

Following the win, the Lady Eagles will play their next game on the road against Boca Raton High School on Tuesday, Feb. 20.