Track Season Ends

The end of the 2019 track season was filled with many successes. The team was competitive on the track, showing integrity throughout the season. Practices were held every day after school in hopes of succeeding past regionals.

Our track team competes in the 4A Region 3 district 12, competing with schools like Coral Glades, Coral Springs, Monarch and Taravella.

Senior Kendall Edgren was a part of the pole vault team and has been since her freshman year.

“It’s melancholy for sure to have something I love so much come to an end,” Edgren said. “I’ll definitely miss the sense of camaraderie among the team and how close we all became. Pole vault was such a fun event and something I looked forward to every spring.”

Our school’s men’s varsity league placed 11th this year at the FHSAA 4A Regional, 3 & 3A Regional 4 on Saturday, April 27.

“This year my personal record was 8’10. Although I wanted to reach 9 feet, I’m still proud of what I accomplished and it feels weird to know that my time at the pole vault pit is over,” Edgen said.

The FHSAA State Track & Field Championships were held on May 3 and May 4 at the University of North Florida. This was the final meet for the season.

“I’ll cherish the memories that we had, such as hanging out and eating chicken nuggets at meets,” senior Kayla Schaefer said.

Many seniors held the record for fastest time this year. Senior Kayla Sanseverino had the fastest 800 meters for the girls with 2 minutes and 37 seconds. Senior Jonathan Vanarsdale had the highest pole vault jump, standing at 12 feet 6.75 inches.

The most notable mention of the year is senior Stephen Powell for the 100-meter dash and 200-meter dash who placed first for both events with a time of 10:83 and 22:18.

For the females, Fletcher placed first for the region this season in her event, 1600 meter dash with a time of 5:27.49.

The season ended on a good note. Due to the success that underclassmen had this year as well as the example seniors lead this year, next season seems to be promising for the Eagles track team.