TWP Attorneys

Electric bout against Cypress Bay ends in defeat for MSD Varsity Hockey

After Monday’s draw against North Broward Prep, the 10-4-1 MSD Eagles looked to catalyze a playoff push on Friday, Jan. 10. The opponent on Friday would be the Cypress Bay Lightning who the Eagles had just played against two games ago, back in December.

Due to mass promotion by hockey players and students in SGA, the game had a large contingency of Stoneman Douglas fans and the student body got involved by making noise for their team and disrupting Cypress Bay.

The game was electric.

Between the number of fans and the amount of noise, the setting was perfect for a high energy battle which is exactly what occurred.

Douglas struck first with an early goal. However, Cypress would respond to tie it at 1-1 followed by another to push to 2-1 in their favor.

After an altercation between the Cypress Bay team bench and the MSD fan section, Douglas rallied and soared to a 3-2 lead by the end of the second period.

Filled with breakaway goals and lead changes, the third period began in total mayhem and wouldn’t slow down all the way through.

After surging out to a 6-4 lead, Cypress seemingly had the game in hand.

However, MSD was not done fighting and plugged one in late to cut the deficit to just one score. 

Having to wait to pull their goalie, Douglas, unfortunately, had very little opportunity to score a last goal and were unable to come back.

“The environment for this game was incredible and to not be able to get a win for our fans hurts, but to see what Douglas Hockey has reached with this level of fan interest, I’m thrilled,”senior Ethan Bohm (23) said.

The next game for the Eagles will take place at 8:00 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 13 at the Ice Den against Spanish River. Here, 10-5-1 MSD will look to get back on the winning track as the regular season wraps up.