MSD women’s varsity soccer loses regional quarter finals

On Tuesday, Feb. 11, at 7 p.m. the Marjory Stoneman Douglas women’s varsity soccer team competed at home against Spanish River High School in the regional quarterfinals. 

Keeping it at a score of 0-0 the majority of the game, the Lady Eagles played great defense. 

“We didn’t play our best, but we picked it up in the second half,” midfielder Chloe Rodgers (4) said. “We started with a rough preseason, losing all of our games, as the season went on we stepped up our game and went way farther in postseason than we thought we would.”

Toward the last five minutes of the second half, Spanish River managed to score a goal off the corner of the net which was nearly impossible for MSD defense to block. The Lady Eagles lost with a final score of 1-0. 

“We worked to get here, the outcome of the game was disappointing because Spanish River did not deserve to be here, they lost their district championship,” goalkeeper Jessica Cummings (1) said. “I think it was a lucky goal.”

This loss closes out the 2019-2020 season for the Lady Eagles.