MSD hosts its annual holiday team spirit week

Sophia Golberg, Section editor

Although the winter holidays are quickly approaching, teachers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School began celebrating this joyous season a little early.

From Monday, Dec. 14 to Friday, Dec. 18., teachers participated in a series of holiday themed contests and events.

To kick off the week, the MSD administration selected winners of their annual door decorating competition. Each year, teachers spend days adorning their classroom doors with festive decorations. This year, the security team came out on top with their spectacular design. According to the administration, those who do choose to participate, always impress.

“We had to incorporate the holidays and sports,” English teacher Dara Hass said. “I went with a Charlie Brown Christmas theme and it came out so cute.”

On Tuesday, both teachers and students were asked to wear their favorite pajamas to show off to the rest of the school. Although the day focused primarily on comfortable and cozy pajamas, a Kahoot game was hosted for the staff at 11:45 a.m.

“We encouraged the students (at school and at home) to participate,” Principal Michelle Kefford said. “We all had a lot of fun.”

On Wednesday, the school requested that both students and teachers attend class as their favorite holiday character or decoration. 

“I love dressing up,” chemistry teacher George Leporte said. “Sometimes the departments will team up and go all out to try to win.”

The excitement continued on Wednesday with the judging of the Holiday Dessert Decorating Contest. The staff had weeks to come up with, prepare and submit a photo of their favorite dessert. Math teacher Chung-Chiang Feng won the contest with his beautiful chocolate cake. Additionally, teachers had the opportunity to enjoy cookies in the conference room all day long.

“I covered my cake with white fondant and I decorated it with my sugar flowers for the holiday,” Feng said. “I have been baking since I came to the U.S. to study in 1995.”

The Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO) provided prizes for the winners. In the past, prizes have ranged from gift cards to baskets, but they vary each year. 

On Dec. 17, students and teachers had another chance to display their holiday spirit by wearing their favorite ugly sweater. To earn even more prizes, teachers submitted a completed bingo board before Thursday at 5 p.m.

Friday was the final day of the festive week. For the last day, teachers were asked to show off a holiday hat of their choice.

“Some teachers will put in 200% when it comes to dressing up,” Hass said.

Despite the lack of students on campus, the week before winter break allowed the MSD teachers to come together to celebrate the holidays and engage in some friendly competition.