TWP Attorneys

MSD JV hockey team goes 1-1 in two game stretch

Graphic made by Hannah Kang

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas junior varsity hockey team faced off against American Heritage and Cardinal Gibbons in a three day span from Jan. 29 – Feb. 1. They started the year off with a loss against Spanish River High School on Jan. 8. MSD had two weeks after that game to prepare for their next two.

After a 10-0 loss to Spanish River High School, MSD faced a lot of pressure to bounce back and push their record to 1-1. American Heritage was able to open up their season on home ice against MSD. 

MSD came back and put on a show in their match against American Heritage on Jan. 30. They routed the Patriots 8-0, and they had a strong sense of urgency to get the win, dominating in all facets of the game.  Having an extra game under their belt proved to be a big advantage with chemistry amongst the team already being built.  

“We played great the entire game with high energy, great communication, and great puck movement,” Dylan Gretzinger (26) said.

On Monday, Feb. 1, The Eagles returned back home to the Panthers Ice Den to face off against Cardinal Gibbons. Cardinal Gibbons went into this matchup without playing any games in the season. Gibbons’ lack of games had little effect on their game-play. They beat MSD handily 12-0. 

While MSD was not satisfied with this outcome, it gives them a chance to grow and improve as a team in the long run.

“I think we need to improve on communication and being more aggressive,” said Gretzinger.

Through their first three games, MSD starts with a 1-2 record which equates to 2 points. In hockey, a win earns  two points in the standings. 

MSD looks to improve on their record with their next game against American Heritage for the second time this season on Feb. 15 at 8:40 p.m.