SGA announces end-of-year events for the ‘Season of Seniors’

Flyer announcing the end-of-year events for seniors. Photo courtesy of MSD Student Government Association

The school’s administration and the 2021 Student Government Association have decided on six end-of-the-year events for seniors for their last few months of high school.

These events include the Senior Gala, a prom alternative, on May 15, Senior Awards on May 19, the Senior BBQ on May 27, a Graduation themed photo OP on June 4, Graduation Parade on June 5 and finally, the in-person graduation on June 8.

Specific details have only been announced for two of these events, which are the Senior Gala and Graduation, further information for the rest of the events is to come.

The Senior Gala will be the class of 2021’s version of a Prom, themed “a celebration under the stars.” The administration suggests that students wear prom attire and will participate in prom-like activities as usual, such as dancing, taking pictures, getting dressed up and celebrating with friends.

“This is your Prom, just with some added COVID-19 guidelines,”the Class of 2021 Canvas page says. Food, photo opportunities, decorations, and entertainment is included in the tickets, which have already gone on sale since April 12, and will cost $60 up until May 2. After that, the price will increase to $75. The event is from 7:30 to 10:30, but students are not required to stay the whole time, however, once they leave they cannot go back in. Students will be in pods of 6 people, being able to enjoy with their closest friends, socially distanced from others. As of April 26, seniors will be able to buy a ticket for an underclassmen to accompany them.

Regarding graduation, the information that has been released is that it will be held June 8, at 8:00 p.m., at the Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, and there will only be two tickets provided per student for their family and friends. Seniors are also required to order their cap and gown prior to graduation.

Seniors have expressed their opinions on these events, with many students looking forward to them, while others not so much, wishing for a regular senior prom.

“I feel that under the current circumstances, these events have allowed seniors to enjoy the end of a year full of setbacks,” senior Castor Zambrano says. “I feel excited that we get to enjoy our last moments in school in person, alongside the people who have been there for us throughout all these years.”

Students will finally get to see and enjoy with their friends after a long school year of online learning.

“I like that we get to spend some time with friends and classmates since it’s something we haven’t been able to do this last year,” senior Martina Rojas says. “I’m also beyond excited because we can share this incredible moment with friends and family, and we can take lots of pictures.”

The class of 2021 Canvas page and Remind https://browardschools.instructure.com/courses/1066404 are posting frequent updates about these events for seniors to keep up with them.