MSD varsity football team makes playoffs with crucial win over Coral Glades

Succesful Win. MSD’s football team takes on Coral Glades High School during the game on Friday, Nov. 5 at 7 p.m. The Eagles won to the Jaguars 29-47.

Reece Gary, Senior Sports Editor

On Friday, Nov. 5, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School varsity football team prepared for their final matchup of the season against Coral Glades High School. The Eagles were 5-3 heading into the game, and were in need of a victory in order to make an effort at securing a spot in the playoffs.

With many ups and downs throughout the season, the matchup against the Coral Glades Jaguars was crucial to decide if the team was going to continue their season. However, the Jaguars had a record of 6-1 heading into the game, making the Eagles a slight underdog.

As the Eagles made their way to Coral Glades High School for their final regular-season game, the stadium was packed with fanatics of both teams. Also moving in, however, were clouds as continuous storms throughout the day questioned whether the game would occur.

Nonetheless, kickoff struck at 7 p.m., and the entire game was able to be played completely.

Led by quarterback Hunter Rose (11), the Eagles’ offense got off to a hot start, scoring multiple times in the first two quarters, which included a rushing touchdown by Rose.

Heading into halftime, the Eagles had a 10-point lead of 27-17, and they looked to make efforts to keep their momentum. With only two quarters left in the crucial game, the Eagles’ defense looked towards tightening up their weaknesses, therefore allowing the offense to grow their lead.

This goal was obtained in an exciting way, as the third quarter consisted of a 103-yard touchdown from safety Chris Cepeda (2), ultimately bringing the score to 33-23.

The final quarter of the game was big for the Eagles as they scored double-digit points on multiple touchdowns and field goals. As the clock of the Eagles’ final game reached the end, the team celebrated their important victory with a score of 47-29.

Despite the win, the Eagles weren’t a lock for the playoffs as they relied on many other games across the district to work out in their favor.

“We played really well against Coral Glades,” defensive tackle Ryan Cruz (78) said. “We are really happy to make it to the playoffs.”

On Sunday, Nov. 7, the playoff bracket was finally announced, with the Eagles placed as the 8-seed.

“After everything we’ve been through, we deserve to be here,” receiver Hervin Louis (5) said. “We’re determined to win this game.”

Although the Eagles will celebrate their entry into the playoffs, the team also has a lot of practice and preparation to do, as they will face the No. 1-seeded Western High School Wildcats on Nov. 12 at 7 p.m.

“Personally, this is my first time in the playoffs, and the team doesn’t plan on ending our playoff run early,” Louis said.

With the Eagles placed as the eighth and final seed in the playoff bracket, the team will continue to work hard to move their season forward.