MSD women’s varsity basketball team achieves big win against Plantation High School

Isabel White

Freshman guard Stella Marvel (3) gets back on defense after a score by the Eagles. Marvel helped push the Eagles to a 39-19 win over Plantation.

Quincy Siffort, Writer

On Tuesday, Jan. 12, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School women’s varsity basketball team played their 12th game of the season against Plantation High School. The 4-7 Lady Eagles were looking for their second consecutive win against a struggling Plantation team who had not won since November.

“We’ve been struggling as a team in our past few games. We were hungry for a bounce-back win against Plantation,” forward Julia Kayser (35) said.

The game got off to a slow start, with neither team scoring more than six points in the first quarter. Great defense was played by both sides, with multiple steals and defensive rebounds in consecutive possessions.

“We were playing great defense and weren’t able to convert on the other end,” guard Stella Marvel (11) said.

In the second quarter, the pace of the game picked up and more points were put on the scoreboard, along with fouls. Plantation lived at the foul line in the second quarter, scoring most of their points there. The Lady Eagles scored most of their points on fastbreaks off turnovers.

At halftime, Plantation had a 17-16 lead, but MSD still had hopes for a win.

The third quarter began and MSD increased the pressure. Their intensity exploded and they quickly gained the lead and didn’t look back. The Eagles were more aggressive on defense and trapped the opposition every time someone touched the ball. Plantation could not handle the pressure and turned the ball over, leading to more fastbreak points for the Lady Eagles.

MSD’s lead grew to over 10 points and it was looking good for them heading into the fourth quarter.

It was the same story in the fourth quarter. The Lady Eagles’ lead only got bigger, eventually leading to a 39-19 win over Plantation High School.

The Lady Eagles’ next game is on Wednesday, Jan. 19 at 6 p.m. against Hallandale High School.