MSD women’s varsity soccer team beat the Coral Glades High School Jaguars in a 4-0 victory

Mariajose Vera

Senior Sahai Simmonds (22) aimed to score a goal against Nova High School on her “Senior Night.”

Josue Lopez and Levi Goffstein

On Tuesday Jan. 11, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School women’s varsity soccer team faced off against the Coral Glades High School Jaguars in their 11th game of the season. The Eagles were 8-0-2 going into the game and looked to continue their three-game win streak going against the Jaguars team who are trying to get their fifth win of the year.

The first 10 minutes of the game was a stalemate, but the Eagles kicked off their lead with forward Skyler Lund (19) scoring a goal 12 minutes into the game.

After a couple of plays following Lund’s opening goal, the Lady Eagles ran a counterattack down the field and took a shot, but an amazing save by the Jaguars’ goalkeeper prevented a 2-0 lead for MSD. Late in the first half, the Jaguars almost tied the game, but their attempt was prevented when the Eagles scored another goal to take a 2-0 lead before halftime.

“We felt good about how we were playing going into the second half,” forward Gianna Rizzo (9) said.

The Eagles took advantage of a tired Coral Glades team and forward Kendall Slack (18) extended the lead to 3-0.

“I felt like my goal set the game out of reach for the Jags, we had all the momentum,” Slack said.

As the game went on, the Jaguars kept on fighting hard for the win. They went on a couple of attacks, but were unsuccessful at putting the ball into the net. The Eagles continued their dominance with Lund scoring her third goal of the game for a hat trick. The Eagles then took a 4-0 lead.

The rest of the game was very quiet, and the game ended at 4-0. MSD extended their win streak and are 9-0-2 now. The Jaguars added another loss to the tally chart, leading to a record of 4-7-1.

The Eagles finished their season with a 10-1-3 record after their last match against the Park Vista High School Cobras on Wednesday Jan. 19.