Sophomore Morgan Goldman balances being a two-sport athlete and a leader to her peers

Claire Piklor

Sophomore Morgan Goldman plays on the MSD women’s varsity flag football team as captain. Morgan is seen in the positions of linebacker, quarterback, and wide receiver.

With the women’s varsity flag football season in full effect, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is looking for a big impact from linebacker, quarterback and wide receiver Morgan Goldman. As a captain, Goldman has helped lead the Eagles to a 3-3 season and is hopeful for a big run at the District Championship.

Goldman was born and raised in South Florida her whole life, living in Coral Springs and Parkland. She grew her love for football at a young age and started playing flag football in sixth grade.

Her love of the game was built and fueled by her dad, who would sit with her every Sunday during the NFL season and watch the games all day.

“My dad and I used to always watch football every Sunday and he used to explain to me what was going on in the game and about each position,” Goldman said.

Goldman eventually had an aspiration to play the sport but could not because her parents disapproved of playing tackle football.

“No parent wants their 11 year old daughter to play tackle, so when my parents gave me the green light that I could play flag, I was ready,” Goldman said.

Goldman began her flag football career playing for the Parkland Flag Football League and won a league championship.

“My first year playing flag, my team and I won the Super Bowl and this pushed me to keep playing and keep my standards high,” Goldman said.

Goldman owes a lot of her success to her parents, especially her dad, who also happens to be her coach. Her parents have grown to be her main motivators, role models and the main reason she grew a love for the game of football.

“I see all the hard work and time they dedicate to me in order for me to follow my dreams,” Goldman said, “I appreciate them more than they will ever know.”

Moreover, outside of flag football, Goldman is vice president for the class of 2024 and a part of the SGA club.

Goldman strives and prides herself on being a leader on and off the field. She has worked her way to being her flag football team’s captain in not only her play and work ethic, but also in her communication.

“Morgan keeps us motivated and on task at practice. She takes charge and is a big component and contributor to our team. She proved her way to captain by constantly being at practice and motivating the team,” running back Rebecca Stember said.

She is also a two-sport athlete. Goldman has worked all her life to be a great soccer player. She has been playing since she was 4 years old and currently plays travel ball for the defending state championship team and the MSD varsity team.

Though she is great at both sports, Goldman wants to pursue a scholarship to play soccer in college.

Goldman also has a great work-ethic. When she is not at practice, she is working on her skills on her own.

“In my free time, I am either at the soccer field or the gym,” Goldman said. “I am always looking to better myself everyday and continue to work hard at my goals.”

Goldman is not only a verbal leader, she shows it through her work.

“Morgan makes sure everyone is in check and makes sure we really work as a team. She is always the hardest worker in practice and the rest of the team follows after her,” wide receiver, defensive back and running back Gabby Riskin said.

Morgan is planning to continue to lead her team for the rest of her highschool career and have fun playing soccer and flag football with her peers.