MSD Eagles varsity football get dominant win in Pig Bowl against Coral Springs Colts

Defensive tackle Justin Valentine (55) lines up with the rest of the Eagles’ defensive line in preparation for the Coral Springs Colts’ snap. The Eagle’s defense shut down the Colt’s offense, ultimately having multiple sacks, fumbles, and stops throughout the Pig Bowl.

Josue Lopez, Writer

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School varsity football team looked to bounce back in the Pig Bowl, the rivalry match against Coral Springs High School, after a tough loss in their previous game against Monarch High School. Coming into the game on Monday, Oct. 3, with a record of 1-3 and on a two game losing streak, the Eagles were in need of a win. Meanwhile, the Colts came into the game 2-2 and trying to get over .500 after a dominant win over Northeast High School by a score of 31-13.

The Eagles came into the Pig Bowl with a grudge after blowing a lead and losing 20-14 to the Monarch Knights. As a consequence, Coach Quentin Short made the team practice even harder and did not allow the players to follow typical game-day traditions.

“Coach Short told us we didn’t deserve to wear our jerseys after our performance last Friday,” left guard Jahmeer Beauzil (70) said.

The Eagles came out strong from the start, scooping up a loose fumble to gain an early possession. On the Eagles’ drive, they were able to score to go up 7-0. Shortly after, they forced another defensive fumble in their favor. Quarterback Ryan Spallina (11) then threw to wide receiver Charles Dellaira (7) to raise the score to 14-0.

The Colts struggled to get anything going on the offensive side of the ball for the rest of the first quarter. On the other hand, the Eagles were filled with momentum as they obtained their early lead.

“I think it was our determination and preparation that led to the early lead,” running back Clayton Cannon II (2) said.

In the second quarter, the Eagles continued to dominate the Colts, not allowing a single point.
Running back Clayton Cannon Jr. (1) helped lead the Eagles to score another touchdown after a 23-yard run down the sideline. Setting up the Eagles offense with a first and goal, Cannon contributed towards a successful drive that brought the score to 21-0 after a pass to receiver Tucker Jean (17).

The third quarter was very similar to the first half as the Eagles defense dominated, only allowing three first downs.

“We were playing with fire, we were hot and no one was going to stop us,” defensive tackle Ryan Cruz (99) said.

The defense wasn’t alone as the offense kept the pressure on by scoring a touchdown. However, the Eagles were unable to convert the two-point conversion.

Raising their lead to 27-0, the Eagles marched on. The defense forced yet another turnover, but the offense couldn’t capitalize on the opportunity.

To start the fourth quarter, the Eagles drove down the field, scoring another seven points with a 25-yard pass to receiver Justin Spano (3), followed by a 35-yard touchdown pass to Charles Dellaira (7) to make the score 34-0.

The defense stood strong until the very end, not allowing a single point and shutting out the Colts. Jean, a standout player for the Eagles, had six sacks in the game, along with a forced fumble and a touchdown. Another standout player, running back and defensive back Clayton Cannon Jr. (1), had two touchdowns, one fumble recovery and one interception.

The Eagles ended a dominant win over the rival Colts, claiming the title of Pig Bowl champions. With the Colts’ principal, Vivian Suarez, having to kiss the live pig, the Eagles celebrated their victory.

Moving forward, the Eagles seek to carry their momentum into their home match against Jupiter High School on Friday, Oct. 7, at 7 pm.