Artist Kanye West dropped from major companies due to anti-Semitic comments

Tribune News Service

Rapper Kanye West and girlfriend Chaney Jones attend a game between the Washington Wizards and the Los Angeles Lakers at crypto.com Arena on March 11, 2022, in Los Angeles. Photo courtesy of Ronald Martinez/TNS.

Ava Jurick, Writer

Kanye West is a major persona in both the music and fashion industry. However, his bold outfits and recent controversies, including his social media outbursts, have pushed him into the public spotlight. After a month of West making controversial and anti-Semitic comments on various social media platforms, he has been dropped from significant brand partnerships including Adidas, Balenciaga, and Creative Artists Agency.

West made headlines starting on Oct. 8 by writing “I’m a bit sleepy tonight but when I wake up I’m going death con 3 [sic] On JEWISH PEOPLE” on Twitter. He has made multiple anti-Semitic comments within the last month which caused him to be restricted on social media platforms which means he cannot post such as Instagram.

“Kanye West’s recent remarks have changed my perspective on him and I will no longer make future purchases with his name involved,” senior Josh Gordon said.

Kanye appeared on a variety of interviews including the podcast Drink Champs which has now been removed for West’s anti-Semitic comments. He also appeared in an interview with Piers Morgan where he continued to discriminate against Jewish people through multiple comments blaming Jewish people for his downfalls such as a statement made in his Piers Morgan interview stating “The Jewish Businessmen have done my people wrong.”

Balenciaga was one of the first companies to sever ties with West on Oct. 22. Balenciaga’s parent company Kerning released a statement in an interview with Women’s Wear Daily Magazine stating “Balenciaga has no longer any relationship nor any plans for future projects related to this artist.”

Although Kanye opened Balenciaga’s summer 2022 show during Paris Fashion Week, his anti-Semitic comments led to his partnership with Balenciaga being served.

“I remember watching the show on youtube and seeing Kanye West opening. He was such a major part of Balenciaga and the Fashion industry but the comments he made are inexcusable,” sophomore Danielle Knee said.

Other companies have followed suit alongside Balenciaga including German company Adidas. Kanye West previously stated “I can say anti-Semitic things, and Adidas can’t drop me. Now what?” However, Adidas went through a thorough review and announced on Oct. 25 that it will terminate its partnership with Yeezy.

Kanye West has become a billionaire due to the Yeezy brand. Adidas has made a significant amount of money due to Yeezy generating over 2 billion dollars a year. The company plans to lose about 250 million dollars in net income for 2022 from the loss of Yeezy.

“I own a pair of Yeezy sneakers but after hearing all of Ye’s comments, I will no longer wear those shoes,” senior Lawrence Russinoff said.

JP Morgan Chase also decided to end their baking relationship with Yeezy. These companies have felt the pressure from social media to end relationships with the artist.

On the music front, Kanye West was dropped from Creative Arts Agency and his G.O.O.D. MUSIC is no longer part of the Def Jam label. All of West’s music has been part of the contract excluding Donda 2.

“It is hard to listen to his music now because I know the hateful remarks he has said. It is going to be interesting to see what happens to his career,” senior Kyler Schwartzberg said.

The artist has always been known to be a person who says what is on their mind. However, his actions have caused major controversy in the fashion and music world. With several brands already severing ties with the artist, it will be interesting to see how West’s career will be impacted.