MSD women’s varsity basketball loses significantly against South Broward at home

Play Calls. Sophomore Stella Marvel (11) as she continues down the count calling out a play to her fellow teammates. Marvel aided her team by playing her hardest both offensively and defensively.

Rebekah Sasser, Photographer

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School women’s varsity basketball team competed against South Broward High School on Tuesday, Jan. 10. MSD was going out looking for their first win of the season.

The first quarter started off with the opposing team winning the jump ball, which would lead to them starting the score off 2-0. South Broward continued their lead to make the Eagles trail 6-2 halfway into the first quarter.
At the end of the first quarter, the Eagles needed to play catch up as the score came to 2-14.
“[Our] coach told us not to worry about the score, not to let it discourage us. There were still three more quarters left to pull through,” guard Stella Marvel (11) said.
The second quarter began with South Broward and MSD fighting back and forth for points to bring the score to 5-18. The Eagles played their hardest ending the second quarter as Marvel scored a layup and forward Naomi Grissette (23) hit a foul shot for one point. This brought MSD into halftime at 8-30 with South Broward still in the lead and picking up momentum.
“During halftime, we went to the locker room and went over ways we could improve in the next half to defend against their offense,” guard Maria Capra (0) said.
At the beginning of the third quarter, the Eagles were looking for a comeback to push them into the lead. Unfortunately, the perseverance and passion of MSD on defense was no match for South Broward’s offense. South Broward continued their pressure, running the third quarter score up to 10-38.
South Broward, now with the long lead in front of MSD, was looking to finish strong during the fourth quarter. South Broward continued to show their offensive dominance going on a 10-20 run. South Broward closed out the game against the Eagles with the final score coming out to 20-28.
The MSD women’s varsity basketball team is hoping to shake off their losing streak in their next game and bring home their first win at Piper High School on Friday, Jan. 13.