• February 28MSD to have a modified schedule for Wednesday, Feb. 28 following hour-long evacuation due to bomb threat
  • February 28MSD allows students back on campus at 10:11 a.m. following all clear by Broward Sheriff's Office; students return to fifth period
  • February 28MSD evacuates to Cumber Stadium at 8:38 a.m. due to bomb threat

Brief: Stoneman Douglas varsity hockey looses to NB prep in an upset

On Nov. 7 the Stoneman Douglas Ice hockey team took on North Broward Preparatory School. Tension between North Broward and Stoneman Douglas in hockey has been heavy and intense for years, which is expected when two of the top hockey teams in the state go head to head. Stoneman Douglas fresh of their season opener win were ready to take on the heated rival in hopes of making the record 2-0.

However, MSD was unsuccessful in continuing their winning streak as it was a shut out game, North Broward winning with a final score of 6-0. Of the five penalties throughout the game, four of them were Douglas players with calls including illegal checks and misconduct.

MSD and North Broward have had a very heated rivalry and many students come out in support of both Eagles teams.

“It gets so heated and crazy, its such good rivalry and game to watch because you’re on edge the whole night,” Junior Ellen Wells said.

Senior Jason Thirkell saved 15 out of the 21 shots on goal and North Broward goalie Zachary Roth saved all 15 possible shots on goal.

The next home game for Stoneman Douglas Varsity hockey is Nov.14 against North Broward Prep at the Panthers Ice Den at 6:15 p.m.