New teacher Bryce Robinson-Burgess looks forward to exploring the world of science with his students

New science teacher Bryce Robinson-Burgess holds the door open for incoming students. Coming from Silver Lakes Middle School, Burgess has now found a place for himself at MSD, where he has found students and staff to be extremely inclusive and welcoming.
Natalia Solera

As students enter Bryce Robinson-Burgess’s classroom for the first time, they are greeted by a man with an enthusiasm for science and a passion for learning. Leading his class through activities and detailed descriptions of how science applies to their everyday lives, Burgess is determined to instill within them a lifelong appreciation for science.

Burgess is looking forward to his first year teaching at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The subjects he teaches are marine science and environmental science, which are both honors classes. As well as teaching these subjects, he is the head coach for the track and field team and problem solves with the Coding & Design club. For the Coding & Design club, Burgess wants to find an issue around school and teach the kids in the club how to design an app to solve it. After the app is designed, those who code will make the designers’ concepts into a reality.

Being a teacher was not always Burgess’s goal, as he had originally planned to go to medical school. He has always wanted to have an impact on his community, whether it be in a hospital or—as he eventually figured out—a classroom. Burgess graduated from Florida State University in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree and jumped straight into the world of teaching. His first job in education was at Silver Lakes Middle School in North Lauderdale, where he taught earth and life science for six years.

Burgess had worked as a substitute teacher for a year at different middle schools and high schools before he became a permanent teacher. He realized that there is a need for teachers since there are not many young teachers kids can relate to.

“Every year there’s at least one or two kids that start the year saying that they hate science or that it’s too challenging, but will end the year saying that this was their favorite class or at least that they understand the value in the practice,” Burgess said. “I love that I get to brainstorm ways to bridge that gap of understanding for kids in the way some of my science teachers did for me.”

One constant within his teaching career is the college banners that adorn his walls. He hopes these banners will inspire students by conveying to them how much their future has in store for them and that they have the capacity to accomplish great things. Burgess considers inspiring students his biggest accomplishment.

Burgess’s passion for science translates to his desire to instill the same love for the subject in his students that he has for it himself.

“I love seeing my kids make different kinds of progress in science,” Burgess said. “Science can sometimes seem daunting but it’s so necessary; it is a skill that we all use daily but also has the ability to unearth a wealth of beauty and awe that one wouldn’t ordinarily be exposed to. Understanding the world around us is not only beneficial in our everyday lives but is also an integral part of being a fulfilled citizen in doing our part to take care of our world.”

As students welcome him and get acclimated to his class, Burgess is trying to make sure he uses his influence in a way that leaves a lasting and positive impact on them.

“I think my age allows me to be sensitive to the unique challenges and perspectives that kids growing up in this generation have,” Burgess said. “I’m blessed to have this kind of influence at my age and I don’t take it lightly.”

His dedication to helping his students is clear as he does everything he can do to understand their generation’s habits and trends. All of his efforts do not go unseen by his students.

“I have never really enjoyed science but he [Mr. Burgess] makes it so much fun and interesting,” sophomore Matthew Kennedy said. “One of my favorite activities was the globe toss where we had to throw the ball around each other.”

Burgess is delighted to be at MSD and to have been granted the opportunity to become part of this school’s community. He cannot wait to continue with his teaching journey and looks forward to his future at MSD.