MSD Eagles return back to the team after Center Adam Shelowitz (77) scores against Spanish River High School in the first period of the match. The score made MSD take the lead  with a score of 1-0.
MSD Eagles return back to the team after Center Adam Shelowitz (77) scores against Spanish River High School in the first period of the match. The score made MSD take the lead with a score of 1-0.
Sophia Hamm

Stoneman Douglas Eagles and Spanish River Sharks hockey tie during the third match of the season

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School varsity hockey team’s third match of the season against Spanish River High School. The game was held at the Panthers Ice Den on Monday, Oct. 23.

The Eagles went into their third match winning their last game against St. Thomas Aquinas High School, and losing their first match against North Broward Preparatory School.

The game began with intense exchanges on the ice from both sides. Within the first five minutes, MSD seized the initiative with a goal courtesy of center, Adam Shelowitz (77), setting the tone for the rest of the game.

Spanish River, determined to respond, launched several attempts on MSD’s goal, but the Eagles’ goalkeeper Jonah Lenamon (30) blocked the shot.

“I think I controlled the puck a lot better, I had more emotion this game overall which ended off with a goal,” Shelowitz said.

With eight minutes remaining in the first period, MSD’s captain and forward Luke Colton (13) extended their lead with the second goal of the night, propelling them to a 2-0 advantage.

“I think what I did the best besides having 2 goals, is leading by example and not just telling my guys what to do but showing them and encouraging them to get out there and work hard,” Colton said. “I try my best to keep a positive environment on and off the ice.”

Soon after taking the lead, forward and defense Ryan Trockey (91) earns a penalty. This gave Spanish River an opportunity to close the gap, they did so by narrowing the score to 2-1

“We have to get pucks in deep, we hold onto the puck too long and it causes turnovers,” forward Ethan Blansky (12) said. “We need to work on playing simpler and play a little more selflessly to help our goalies out and limit the shots on our net.”

The first period of the match ended and MSD huddled up for a discussion of their game plans and strategies with the coaches shortly after the buzzer rang.

The second period began with Spanish River making a comeback, equaling the score at 2-2. Soon after, MSD earned a goal by foward Slater Szirovatka (27), briefly reclaiming the lead with a score of 3-2. Shortly after, Spanish River scored their second goal of the period, leveling the score at 3-3.

“I did the best at creating plays and opening up to get goals,” left wing João Pedro Alves (19) said. “Next game I will improve on scoring since I missed the net on my opportunity”

Shelowitz receivied a penalty offering Spanish River High School an advantage. Spanish River wasted no time on this opportunity, scoring and pushing the scoreline to 4-3, putting them in the lead.

At the end of second period right defense Nathan Shelowitz (29) got a penalty. As the third period unfolded, forward Ethan Pakhomov (16) executed a goal for MSD. This evened the score at 4-4. Pakhomov’s goal was the last point scored in the game. The game concluded in a well-fought tie.

The next game will be held on Friday, Oct. 27 at Panthers Ice Den against Cypress Bay High School.