MSD Drama hosts a live audience on Friday, Nov. 3

Junior Tahji Garcia, senior Zara Dautruche, junior Adrian O’Connell, sophomore Logan Priest and freshman Brian Salazar sit on the stage following their performance of the one-act “Small Actors.” They received critiques from the audience to improve their piece for competition on Nov. 6 at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. (Aisha Hashmi)

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Drama Club hosted a one-act production of Small Actors by Stephen Gregg as their final dress rehearsal on Friday, Nov. 3 in the auditorium, before their competition on Monday, Nov. 6 at Broward Center for the Performing Arts in the Amaturo Theater. The competition was the One-Act Festival for all thespians in district seven. The play was performed during the second half of eighth period in front of a live audience.

Teachers Darren Levine, Ashley Kurth and Jacqueline Lieberman took their classes to the auditorium to watch the production. It was 17 students’ first time playing a major role in the one-act and because of this MSD theater director Melody Herzfeld decided to host a live audience before the competition. Although the drama program at MSD does not typically host a live audience for their one-acts, Herzfeld had decided to at the last minute.

“Because they are new students, they need to feel that vibe [of a live audience] that’s going to go on,” Herzfeld said.

The play, which has a run time of 26 minutes, follows the story of a young girl who wishes to gain her parents’ approval through her school’s production of “Romeo and Juliet.” After receiving a minor role, the protagonist, Emily, lied to her parents by saying she was playing Juliet. Turbulent months of practice had ended with her coming clean and growing closer to her parents than ever.

“Our ultimate goal is to bring our one-acts to states,” sophomore Lorenzo Sandri said.

Sandri plays a main role in the one act as Paul, the father of Emily. A sure way for them to reach their goal was by receiving a Critic Choice Award from the judges. The competition on Monday ended with them winning an excellent rating on performance and a superior rating on technical. These are some of the highest awards a performance can receive.