• May 19MSD men's baseball team wins state championship 3-2 for fourth year in a row

[Brief] Upcoming seniors prepare for participation in senior crowning day

Rising seniors participate in the annual senior crowning day on Friday, May 31 after current seniors complete their finals and ready themselves for graduation. The day marks a transition for the new seniors taking over as upperclassmen by wearing their decorated crowns and their Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School senior crowning shirt.

The senior crowning shirts were made available for purchase on the e-store on Monday, May 6 until Wednesday, May 15. Each shirt cost $20.83 and was created and designed by the Leadership class. The class creates and designs the shirts each year and promotes them through the class Instagram, through the Remind app and on the morning announcements.

“I bought my shirt immediately because I have been looking forward to making my crown since freshman year,” junior Taylor Bretz said. “It’s a really good bonding moment for me and my friends to look back on our high school years and look forward to applying to college and creating a good last year.”

This year’s shirts design read, “2ENIOR5” on the front to signify the year they graduate, as well as picturing a crown on top of the word to distinguish itself from other senior shirts. On the back of the shirt, it reads, “Started from the bottom now we’re here” to emphasize the progression of their high school years.

Rising seniors are responsible for acquiring their crowns; most received theirs from Burger King restaurants in the area. As per tradition, juniors decorate their crown with “senior” or the year they graduate to reflect their school spirit.

“I was really excited to design my crown because I looked up to seniors when I saw them in school, and I want to be the same role model to the underclassmen next year,” junior Courtney Solinsky said.

The day signified the end of the school year and recognizes the upcoming seniors of next year. The tradition fosters a sense of community and promotes school spirit as students transition into their final year of high school.