Carolina Ochoa Lozano
Midfielder Anthony Carnuccio (5) kicks ball up and passes it to defender Soren Jacobsen (3) during the home match of the Eagles and the St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders match Monday, Nov. 13. The final score was 3-1, in favor of the Raiders.

MSD Eagles face St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders in season opener at Cumber Stadium

Facing the St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders at the Cumber Stadium on Monday, Nov. 13, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s varsity soccer team embarked on their first game of the season with a final score of 3-1, in favor of the Aquinas Raiders.

The Eagles originally had their first game scheduled on Thursday, Nov. 9 against the American Heritage Delray Stallions, but it was canceled due to the field being flooded from heavy rainfall.

This year, the Eagles have rebuilt the team with more than half of the team graduating in 2023. Recognizing the need for cohesion and a fresh approach, the team began an intensive training regimen starting Oct. 24. The daily training sessions are dedicated to developing skills, fostering team chemistry and devising innovative game strategies that would define the Eagles’ performance on the field.

Last season, the Eagles beat the Raiders 1-0. They stepped foot on the field ready to continue the winning streak.

“My expectations were to understand our opponent that we were playing and adjust our mindset,” defender and captain Ian Selveraj (10) said. “Since we have a lot of newcomers, these early games are about adjusting to the high school mind frame and understanding how we must react when things go/don’t go our way.”

The Eagles maintained the ball throughout the first half, with help from the Eagles defense. The Eagles ended the first half of the game 0-0.

To begin the second half, the Aquinas raiders scored a goal with 20 minutes left on the clock. The Eagles did not fall behind, as they quickly scored a goal from midfielder Anthony Carnuccio (5) and an assist by Selveraj. This made the score 1-1.

“This moment felt great and we felt the momentum shift,” Carnuccio said.

Shortly after the Raiders scored another goal, after a mistake in communication from the Eagles, they found themselves trailing with a score of 2-1 due to a communication error on their part.

The Eagles were then faced with a penalty, providing the Raiders with an opportunity to extend their lead. The Raiders capitalized on the penalty kick, scoring another goal. As a result, the final score of the match stood at 3-1 in favor of the Raiders.

Looking ahead, the Eagles are gearing up for their next challenge as they face Deerfield Beach High School on Monday, Nov. 27, at the Deerfield grounds. With a determined commitment to improvement, the Eagles are maintaining their focus on the task at hand as they gear up for the upcoming game against Deerfield Beach High School.

The match is viewed as a crucial opportunity for the Eagles to secure their first victory of the season. The players, along with Coach Christian Chacon, are actively collaborating to address areas of development and enhance their overall performance. The team will face a unique challenge as inclement weather has prevented them from holding any practices leading up to the game.

Despite the obstacle, the Eagles remain dedicated to making strategic improvements and hope to achieve a positive outcome in the upcoming challenge.