Midfielder Sebastian Piccone (2) takes a corner kick to get the Eagles in a tie against Coral Glades High School to score the last goal of the game. The Eagles ended in a tie of 2-2.
Noah Lechtenstein

MSD men’s varsity soccer draws against Coral Glades High School in tough match

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s varsity soccer team took on the Coral Glades High School Jaguars on Tuesday, Nov. 28. The game ended in a tie of 2-2.

The game began with the Eagles getting the ball first, but both teams were playing tough defense early on and committing many turnovers. Both teams also got opportunities to score on shots, but neither the Eagles nor the Jaguars capitalized.

Coming out of a water break, the Eagles’ miscommunication started to show on the defensive end as well, leading to a Jaguars goal, giving them an early 1-0 advantage.

“We needed to have better communication,” right back Robbie Heffner (25) said.

The Eagles turned up the pressure offensively, quickly responding back with a goal from striker Aquiles Yibirin (9) with an assist from Heffner.

After two penalties by Jaguars players, the Eagles started to take control. They were playing tough defense, taking the ball away the second it came into their territory.

The defense started translating to the offensive side for the Eagles, and Yibirin got to add another goal before half. The Eagles kept pressure up on the offensive end but couldn’t score again, ending the half with a 2-1 lead.

“My teammates helped me get great looks to score the ball, and I capitalized,” Yibirn said.

The second half started, and a Jaguars player and coach both got a yellow card. The Eagles had a shot to score early in the half, but missed.

The game was going back and forth and neither team could gain any advantage. A Jaguars picked up his second penalty and was ejected from the game.

The Eagles kept the attack going on the offensive end but couldn’t score after many missed opportunities, which led to some open shots for the opponent.

The Jaguars finally scored, tying the game at 2-2 late in the second half.

The Eagles continued to try and score but time and time again were stopped. The game ended in a 2-2 tie, with Yibrin accounting for both of the Eagles goals.

“We didn’t want to win enough, and we really could’ve if we wanted to,” Heffner said.

The next game is Thursday, Nov. 30, at 4:00 p.m. when the Eagles take on the Monarch High School Knights at home.