Gabie Soivilus
Running for the ball. Center back Liam Ulinski (6) executes great defense in Douglas game winning against Flannagan High School 2-1 on 12/6. Throughout the game, the Eagles worked very hard to score. “I think I had some good defensive plays and headers. We kinda were a little shaky we could’ve just connected cleaner,” sophomore Liam Ulinski said.

MSD men’s varsity soccer defeats Flanagan High School

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s varsity soccer team played against Flanagan High School on Wednesday, Dec. 6 at Cumber Stadium. The Eagles won the game with a score of 2-1.

The game started with the Falcons having the ball first, but the Eagles caught up and took possession of the ball. Both teams had a strong defense, especially the Eagles with right back Robbie Hefner (25) keeping the ball off the Falcons’ side of the field.

“I think we played a good defense,” Hefner said. “We didn’t make that many mistakes in the back, we kept it locked down pretty much.”

Each team had multiple opportunities to score the goal but the ball went back and forth between both teams. Due to a lack of communication, the ball didn’t stick with the team during the first half.

“We kinda were a little shaky, we could’ve just connected cleaner,” center back Liam Ulinski (6) said.

The Eagles had possession of the ball the majority of the game. At the end of the first half, neither team was able to score, resulting in a tie of 0-0.

The second half began with the Eagles holding possession of the ball for most of the quarter and soon after, striker Aquiles Yibiri (9) scored the first goal for the Eagles.

“I was able to score a goal but I do think we could’ve done a lot better,” Yibiri said.

Shortly after the Eagles successfully scored, Flanagan followed up with a goal and tied the game at 1-1, as the time hit the halfway mark of the second half.

Entering the fourth quarter, the Eagles had a corner kick where forward Coby Alhadeff (8) was able to make the Eagles second goal of the night. After that goal was made, the Eagles made sure to focus on keeping the ball on the opponent’s side of the field.

Towards the end of the game, the Eagles made an effort to score. With a long period of good defense and stealing the ball, the Eagles finally scored.

The next game is on Thursday, Jan. 11, at 5:00 p.m. against Olympic Heights Community High School.