Photo by Fenthon Aristhomene

[Opinion] Clubs should continue meeting even though school is closed

Photo by Fenthon Aristhomene

The reason most people join clubs is to meet people with similar interests and to get more involved in the school. After the recent shutdown of schools across Broward County and the United States due to the COVID-19 outbreak, many students have to create new routines to adapt to their quarantined lives. 

One of the changes that should not be made is the amount of socializing students have with others, especially if it involves communicating with others about a school related matter. Club meetings are not possible in person; however, websites such as Zoom allow groups to see each other from a computer screen. Students that have technology can continue seeing one another from the comfort and security of their homes.

The chess club, for example, could be playing with one another virtually, and the anime club could be conducting a Netflix Party to watch the same movie or show at the same time.

As the time in quarantine goes on, clubs are losing contact with their members. For some students, club meetings were an outlet for members to express themselves about a common topic on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.

Club officers are scrambling to figure out what they will do for the rest of the year and how they will conduct officer elections for the next school year. All of these problems can be fixed with a simple, free and effective live-chat meeting with members.

Since it is not required to be in a club throughout high school, it should not be required to go to any virtual meetings; however, they should certainly be offered to those who are interested.

After all, people paid dues in the beginning of the year for many clubs, and they should continue to go on as normal to get the experience they paid for. Even future members would benefit from these meetings since there could be future club event ideas shared over video call meetings.