• March 10Most MSD World Language competitors place in respective categories at district competition on Saturday, March 9
  • March 8Hospitality teacher Mitchell Albert named Broward CTE Teacher of the Year
  • March 7MSD culinary team places seventh at state competition
  • March 4MSD Literary Magazine Artifex named finalist for a Pacemaker by National Scholastic Press Association
  • March 4Wrestler Gaby Caro places first at state championship for second state title; wrestlers David Leiva and Rocco Duygulu placed third and sixth, respectively

Douglas varsity baseball jumps out to a strong start to their season

Staying on a winning streak. Pitcher Chris Arroyo (4) delivers a pitch during a home game against Coral Reef High School, leading them to another 12-2 victory. Photo by Theron Piccininni

Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagles varsity baseball team is off to a hot start to the season. Lead by an electric lineup, and a depth filled pitching staff.

The team was facing challenges going into the season, missing out on the fall season to prepare for the spring season forced the team to build team chemistry quickly. 

“Our baseball season started a little later, so as a new team we had to come together quickly to get ready for the season,” outfielder Dillon Moquin (27) said.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagles varsity baseball team had a positive start before their season even began. Perfect Game, which is the largest amateur scouting organization in America, released their yearly top 50 high school rankings, and the Stoneman Douglas Eagles placed eleventh overall. 

To make sure the team is ready to start their season with their shortened start-up time the team has been putting in work almost daily to be ready to continue having success this year. 

In their breakdown of the team’s strengths, Perfect Game singled out some of the talented players to keep an eye on this year, including Roman Anthony (22), Jake Clemente (24), Santiago Ordonez (12), Christian Rodriguez (10), and others on the roster. 

Through the first five games this year, the Eagles went undefeated, even taking down Saint. Thomas Aquinas in a 2-3 walk-off victory. 

The pitching staff, led by C. Rodriguez, Derek Rodriguez, Clemente, and Von Smeltzer along with other pitchers who fill out the staff. 

The team’s offense is led by outfielders Anthony and Clemente, shortstop Gavin Conticello, and catchers Ordonez and Benestad; who was recently named the perfect game hitter of the year. 

“Even though we’ve jumped out to a hot start, we aren’t satisfied until we get that ring at the end of the year,” Moquin said.

The MSD baseball roster is loaded with talented players from top to bottom and is in a position to have yet another successful year.