TWP Attorneys

MSD varsity football team suffers a loss against South Broward High School

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School varsity football team played against the South Broward High School Bulldogs at Cumber Stadium on Thursday, Oct. 19. This was the fourth home game of the season and the Eagles were coming into the game with a 2-5 record.

This game was the annual ‘Senior Night’, which honored the seniors of the varsity football team, varsity cheerleading team and Eagle Regiment, who will be graduating at the end of the school year in 2024. Teachers attended the game wearing jerseys dedicated by senior students and parents sat in the stands waving cutouts of seniors’ faces. Senior cheerleaders donned white bows and senior sashes and senior Eagle Regiment members wore lit-up crown headbands.

The theme of the night was “Pink Out.” Teachers, students and parents sported pink to raise awareness for breast cancer. The players took the field with pink socks and the cheerleaders also wore pink bows in support.

At 6 p.m., there was a celebration held for all of the seniors from MSD participating in the game. Football players, Eagle Regiment members and cheerleaders were able to take to the field.

“I thought it was pretty cool to finally walk through that eagle and the fact that this was my last senior night was awesome,” senior and tenor two Josiah Jimenez said.

The first quarter began with a kick off from the Bulldogs, allowing the Eagles to receive the ball. After the Eagles fell short on offense, the Bulldogs drove the ball down the field, resulting in a touchdown, upping the score six points. They successfully made a two-point conversion which resulted in a score of 0-8.

The Eagles then received the ball from the Bulldogs kick off and quarterback Ryan Spallina (15) scored a touchdown. With a successful extra point, the Eagles trailed the Bulldogs 8-7, the Eagles shortly after making the extra point ending in a score of 7-8.
“Every game, you are going to have moments when you are up and moments when you are down,” Spallina said. “It’s just how you are going to respond to those bad moments and come back from them.”

Kicker Rocco Duyugulu (32) kicked off to the Bulldogs after the big play. Soon after, the first quarter ended with no score change. The Eagles remained behind by a point.

At the beginning of the second quarter the Bulldogs made a field goal, earning three points. Near the end of the quarter the Bulldogs successfully made another field goal. They then led 14-7. As the time in the first half was expiring, the Bulldogs scored a touchdown and made the extra point. This ended the second quarter, and the Bulldogs held a 21-7 lead.

Halftime occurred with a special performance from the Eagle Regiment, showing off their competition costumes and unique set design.

The bulldogs scored another touchdown but didn’t get the extra point, making the score 27-7 in favor of South Broward. Following the score, wide receiver and defensive back Caleb Hensley (2) caught a touchdown from Spallina to make it a two score game. Kicker Duygulu (32) made the extra point, and brought the score up to 14-27.

Linebacker Santiago Castro (45) received the ball off of a kickoff from the Bulldogs, running nine yards to the end zone. Wide receiver Slade Rogers (10) caught a touchdown for the Eagles as the quarter neared its end. A successful extra point by Duygulu, ended the quarter with a score of 21-27.

“I think I had a good play in special teams today, kickoff and I gave it my all,” Castro said. “I played hard and I didn’t give up at all.”

The fourth quarter started with the Bulldogs in possession of the ball, soon after making a field goal, making the score 21-30. Afterwards the Bulldogs scored a touchdown and a two-point conversion, upping the score to 21-38. The final score remained at 38-21 in favor of South Broward.

The Eagles fell short with a score of 38-21, but are ready for their next game. The Eagles’ next and final away game of the season is on Oct. 27th at 6:30 p.m against Olympic Heights High School.