TWP Attorneys
Boygenius, a band that consists of three solo artists, released their indie folk EP The Rest on Oct. 13. The EP consists of four songs that were performed on their tour for their debut album, The Record.
Boygenius Official Store
Boygenius, a band that consists of three solo artists, released their indie folk EP “The Rest” on Oct. 13. The EP consists of four songs that were performed on their tour for their debut album, “The Record.”

[Review] Boygenius explores new sounds in unexpected EP, ‘the record’

Indie-folk supergroup boygenius consists of singer-songwriters Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker, who released their new EP “the rest” on Oct. 13. The four-song EP is a follow-up to their widely acclaimed full-length debut album “the record,” which was released earlier this year. The songs on “the rest” were not finished in time to be featured on “the record” and were perfected in the months between the releases.

The EP’s Baker-led opening track, “Black Hole,” stands out from the rest of the band’s discography and debuted at a concert in Boston on Sept. 25 before they announced the EP. Instead of the usual soft-rock acoustics in boygenius’ songs, Baker sings over a synth beat that builds into a dissonant array of drums that blend and elevate the track. The lyrics, the trio’s vocals and the instrumental all help create an eerie tone throughout the song.

The second track, “Afraid of Heights,” primarily features Dacus’ vocals. The juxtaposition between the upbeat melody and the melancholy lyrics was masterfully executed. The lyrics describe a longing to live a more reckless life, as Dacus metaphorically looks at someone who takes more risks with both envy and fear. This track highlights boygenius’ remarkable songwriting and storytelling skills.

The third track, “Voyager,” is Bridgers’ moment to shine on the EP. It opens with soft and stunning harmonies from Dacus and Baker, which are present throughout the song. These vocals predate Bridgers’ signature haunting and melancholic vocals, which pierce listeners’ hearts. The gentle and mellow plucking of the guitar during the song perfectly compliments the trio’s vocals and helps set a gloomy tone. Bridgers reminisces about a past relationship, hinting at it being toxic with the lyrics, “Then there are nights you say you don’t remember/When you stepped on the gas and you asked if I’m ready to die.” Bridgers also expresses feelings of isolation and loneliness throughout the sorrowful track.

The EP ends with another Baker-led track, “Powers.” The song’s powerful guitar strums and self-critical lyrics illustrate Baker’s frustration with herself. She searches for the reason she is the way she is in the lyrics, asking poignant questions like “How did it start?/Did I fall into a nuclear reactor?/Crawl out with acid on skin or somethin’ worse,” which describe scenarios reminiscent of supervillain origin stories. Boygenius has explored the concept of why people are the way they are in other songs, namely in their hit song “Not Strong Enough.” This is evident in lyrics like, “I don’t know why I am/The way I am.” Therefore, “Powers” acts as a continuation of “Not Strong Enough,” delving into the topic in much more detail and in a way that expresses self-loathing.

The 12-minute EP is the definition of short but sweet and captures the essence of boygenius perfectly. Though the tracks highlight the individual styles of each member and are not particularly cohesive, the trio’s harmonies continue to be the force keeping the songs connected. “the rest” is a temporary farewell from boygenius to their fans, leaving them with a spacey and eerie goodbye that differs from the rest of the supergroup’s discography.