[Brief] Parkland Day to hold a parade for the 61st aniversary of Parkland

The start of the 2024 Parkland Day event marks the 61st anniversary of the Parkland community, a day intended to be filled with entertainment, food and community spirit. On Saturday, March 9, families and community members can celebrate Parkland with a grand parade.

Back in 1967, a community member named Betty Bell held a little celebration that showed horses at the Equestrian Center at Temple Park on the corner of 84th Avenue and Holmberg Road,. The following year more people, a part of the Parkland community, wanted to bring together the community. They event grew and live music, food, games and a parade is in celebration to show the community of Parkland.

This year’s theme for the community event is “Lights, Camera, Action.” Each year, the City of Parkland picks a theme and each business stand participating in Parkland day decorates the stand in that theme. Judges will then go around and judge each stand and then winners will be announced that night at Pine Trails Park.

At 10 a.m. on March 9, the parade will begin at the corner of Pine Island and Nob Hill Road, and continue its way to the end of Pine Island to Trails End. Then, it will finish its way east on Trails End and to the entrance of Pine Trails Park.

On Friday, Jan. 19, Parkland Talk announced the registration window to apply to open the Parkland Day parade. Those who were interested in participating in the parade submitted an application before Friday, Feb. 2. People in the Parkland community who want to contribute make a creative parade routine to walk around Parkland to express their joy.

Applications were made on the City of Parkland website to participate with the parade application, business application, food vendor application and community performance application. After filling out the application, applicants should have submitted it to [email protected].

Activities after the parade will start as early as 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Live music will be contributed to the 60s-70s to give a tribute to the Beatles by Beeteles Maniacs. An 80s tribute will be made by the Rubixx band in Pompano Beach. Each year, Parkland plays live music at Pine Trails Park at the amphitheater.