• February 28MSD to have a modified schedule for Wednesday, Feb. 28 following hour-long evacuation due to bomb threat
  • February 28MSD allows students back on campus at 10:11 a.m. following all clear by Broward Sheriff's Office; students return to fifth period
  • February 28MSD evacuates to Cumber Stadium at 8:38 a.m. due to bomb threat

[Brief] Men’s varsity baseball team holds opening day matchup

As third-baseman Hunter Fitz-Gerald (5) rounded third-base after blasting a monstrous solo home run to right field, the Eagles continued to show why they will be a top contender this season.

Pitcher Louis Esposito (26) was on the mound for Thursday’s Opening Day matchup against rival Deerfield Beach High School Bucks. Primarily a reliever, Esposito’s strong arm was trusted by the coaching staff to get the job done. Esposito did just that.

The senior right handed pitcher stayed dominant through three innings while punching the outside corner leaving hopeless Buck batters looking at strikes. Esposito went 3IP, 4K, 1H, BB, and allowed zero earned runs.

During this matchup, the Eagles were backed by their tremendous pitching staff as well as their consistent offense. In the bottom of the second inning, lefty batter Fitz-Gerald sent a ball high over the right field trees, putting the Eagles up 2-0 and creating heavy momentum.  Fitz-Gerald finished the day going 2-3 with a double and a home run.

“I just focus on the details of my swing, take video, and self-evaluate what I need to do, then perfect it,” Fitz-Gerald said.

After Esposito’s three dominant innings, reliever Luis Fuentes (21) came into play in the top of the fourth inning. He stayed strong through his two innings and ended up striking out four batters and letting up zero runs.

The Eagles would end up scoring one more run in the third inning. Pitcher Kevin Heinrich (22) made his appearance in the top of the sixth inning and would seal the deal for the Eagles.

The Eagles would go on to win 3-0 in a must-win district game. They would continue their win streak to 4-0.