Working out, creating brands, and picking up old hobbies help students stay busy while isolating

Graphic by Brianna Jesionowski

During this period of self-isolation, it is important to take time to reflect on the current situation and give oneself a mental break from all of the pressures of working before jumping back into normal routines. Allowing time to process the events happening in the world due to COVID-19 and how it is affecting one’s lifestyle is crucial before rushing back into a normal day-to-day routine. Staying busy is a great way to continue daily tasks and once that time approaches, there are many ways to stay productive in quarantine, and develop new hobbies or better oneself if able to.

Some students feel that this time at home is the perfect opportunity to pick up an old skill that has been moved to the backburner, such as practicing an instrument or learning a new language. Duolingo and Rosetta Stone are two websites that students can access with over twenty languages to learn, such as Spanish, French or Hebrew. While Rosetta Stone is offering a seven-day free trial, Duolingo is completely free to use, and one can even compete with friends each week over the amount of language they have practiced. 

“I’ve always wanted to stay consistent with learning Spanish, and have been using Duolingo every day to track my progress,” senior Leah Golberg said. 

Many students have taken this time to pick up hobbies they have always enjoyed but never gotten to put the time into because school or work got in the way. Cooking healthy meals, drawing, playing an instrument, picking up a camera or reading simply for pleasure are among the numerous things one can do to stay busy during the increase of free hours of the day. 

“I’ve been keeping myself busy in quarantine by drawing, painting, baking and even running,” sophomore Camila Escobar said. “I’ve made lots of cookies and brownies so to compensate, I’ve also been working out a lot.”  

Even though gyms are closed, keeping active has never been easier. Creators on Youtube and Tik Tok constantly upload at-home workouts that are done with little to no equipment, allowing viewers to have direct access to free online classes. Additionally, gyms such as Planet Fitness and Evolution Yoga are doing online classes and zoom classes for their members.

“I’ve been working out every day and even started fishing in the pond behind my house,”  senior Gabe Flaksman said. “I’m also constantly outside so I’ve gotten a little color.”

With so much extra time, student entrepreneurs have taken this opportunity to work and grow their own businesses. From Instagram pages to online thrift stores, novel writing and Youtube channels, the extra hours create ample time to work towards the expansion of a business idea or passion project. 

“With so much extra time, I decided to clean out my closet and find items I no longer wore,” Golberg said. “I had created an Instagram page previously to post thrifted clothing items, so I decided to upload the pieces in my closet. Through my Instagram, @SickkThriftss, I’m able to make a small amount of money while also getting rid of clothing I no longer wear.”

Being stuck in one place can always create a damper on one’s general mood, especially with the severity of the current situation. While taking time to slow down is valid and necessary, finding joys in forgotten hobbies, staying healthy or working towards a large goal can be a way to positively distract oneself from the present circumstances.