TNS
Seven out of nine customers in a long line outside Costco, wear protective masks, Friday in Royal Palm Beach. The discount wholesaler had supplies of toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, chicken, eggs and milk, but no hand sanitizer. [ALLEN EYESTONE/palmbeachpost.com]

MSD students take precautions in the face of COVID-19

Seven out of nine customers in a long line outside Costco, wear protective masks, Friday in Royal Palm Beach. The discount wholesaler had supplies of toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, chicken, eggs and milk, but no hand sanitizer. Photo courtesy of Allen Eyestone/palmbeachpost.com/TNS

In recent weeks, the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in the deaths of over 72,636 people globally as well as the closure of many schools, stores, restaurants and businesses. COVID-19 has greatly affected the way people live their lives. People have to avoid close contact with others because the virus primarily spreads through the droplets of an infected person’s coughs and sneezes. It is also possible for a person to catch the coronavirus by touching a contaminated surface and then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. Under these circumstances, many people have had to sacrifice various of the activities they love.

Those with the coronavirus may be asymptomatic, meaning they show no symptoms of the disease. However, those who are asymptomatic to the coronavirus leads to more people getting infected due to someone being deemed as healthy when in reality they are not. As a result, students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which is cuurently closed, are preparing for the impact of the coronavirus. 

Grace Cavarretta, a freshman at MSD, has been practicing social distancing with her family to avoid catching the coronavirus. Cavaretta only leaves her house when necessary, or when she is practicing harmless activities, such as bike rides and walks. She understands the importance of social distancing and why it is dangerous to come in close contact with others.

“My family and I have been trying our best to socially distance ourselves and making sure to wash our hands often,” Cavarretta said. “If we do leave the house, in the case of a bike ride or something related, we make sure to properly clean and sanitize our phones, keys and most importantly, ourselves when we return to the house.”

Social distancing is a sacrifice many students have had to make in order to take precautions against catching the virus. Medical professionals argue that it is crucial to help stop the spread of the coronavirus. Although some may have temptations to go out, they put others in danger, especially older people and those with weak immune systems.

Senior Jason Klein has been practicing social distancing by avoiding public places. He gets his necessities by ordering them on Amazon. Klein does not want to risk catching the virus and understands the importance of minimizing the number of times he leaves his house.

“I am staying home and rarely going out unless it’s necessary,” Klein said.

Gianna Squiccirini, a sophomore at MSD, has been following good hygiene to combat the highly contagious coronavirus. She washes her hands thoroughly numerous times a day with soap and water to kill the germs that may be on her hands, especially after she’s been in a public place. Squiccirini avoids touching her face with unwashed hands.

“I have been very concerned for my family and I about the dangers of the coronavirus. One way my family and I have been avoiding catching the virus is by washing our hands regularly,” Squiccirini said. “I wash my hands multiple times every day with soap and water for at least twenty seconds at a time.”

Junior Alex Russ has gone into quarantine due to the spread of the coronavirus; however, he is finding ways to be productive while being stuck in quarantine. He is focused on staying in shape while in quarantine. Russ recognizes the importance of staying active during a time like this. 

“I’ve been working out trying to stay in shape,” Russ said. “To stay active, I run outside and do ab workouts every day.”

Russ, like many other students, believes that staying active during this pandemic is necessary to improve and enhance one’s physical and mental health. It is a healthy way that many students are coping with extreme lifestyle changes. Although Russ enjoys running outside and ab workouts, there are various other workouts to do, such as online workout classes, squats, planks and going on bicycle rides.

MSD students are taking precautions to avoid the spread and contamination of COVID-19. Whether it is through social distancing/isolation, minimizing grocery runs or discovering at-home entertainment, students are finding ways to stay safe.