Zach Weissman maintains his number one class ranking through perseverance

Junior Zach Weissman is selected as Scholar of the Month due to his academic successes. Photo by Sasha Lechtenstein

Isabel White, Section editor

Zach Weissman, a junior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, has excelled due to his severe academic lifestyle. Weissman is a determined and resolute student who perseveres through a great deal of diligent classes.

Currently, Weissman is the valedictorian of the Class of 2022. He maintains this class ranking through an abundance of hard work.

“There are plenty of days where I have around three to four hours of homework, but on a bad day, I have about six to ten hours,” Weissman said.

In addition to homework, Weissman studies frequently for his rigorous courses. He is currently enrolled in AP English Language and Composition, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism, AP U.S. History, AP Computer Science A, AP U.S. Government, Frontiers of Artificial Intelligence (University of Florida dual enrollment), Foundations of Mathematical Reasoning (Broward College dual enrollment), Accounting Honors and Engineering 4 Honors.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, studying has been difficult for Weissman because he lacks the same encouragement he previously had before virtual learning. 

“COVID-19 has taken a hit on my study habits as I study less and procrastinate more, which is not the best combination with the increased junior-year homework,” Weissman said. “However, I am working on fixing my study habits.”

Weissman takes all these arduous courses in an effort to get accepted into his dream school: Princeton University. Although he does not have a particular preference for his future education, Princeton is simply his top choice. Weissman is not quite sure what specific career he would like to pursue, but he does have a specific direction of field in mind.

“I would like to pursue a career in STEM most likely aligned with my physics, mathematics, or engineering interest,” Weissman said.

In order to get accepted into a virtuous university, Weissman must also achieve a high SAT score and has hopes to earn at least a 1550.  

Weissman is involved in numerous extracurricular activities including DECA, Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society and Science National Honor Society. Additionally, he plans to run for senior class treasurer next school year as he was the class treasurer both his freshman and sophomore year.

Although maintaining high grades and expectations can be grueling, Weissman has a lot of motivation. He enjoys living up to his full potential and creating an ideal future. Besides, whenever Weissman feels stressed, he turns to music for contemplation.