Paragon

Men’s water polo team starts season 2-1

A water polo ball floats on a serene pool before a match between the United States and Italy on Wednesday, August 13, 2008, in the Games of the XXIX Olympiad in Beijing, China. Photo courtesy of Mark Reis/Colorado Springs Gazette/MCT.

On Thursday, Feb. 25, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School men’s water polo team kicked off their season in a game against Coral Springs High School. However, the game resulted in a loss with a score of 18-3. 

After the loss, the team worked hard and prepared for their next game. The team rebounded by winning their next game against Coral Springs High School. 

“We work on playing smart at practice and it makes a difference. Having that first game for some players or having the first game in over a year gives you a sense or reminder of what it’s like to play against someone else and to play full speed,” water polo coach Jacob Abraham said. “We needed that loss in the first game to reorient, and we’ll have a chance at revenge when we face Coral Springs at districts.”

The hot streak continued for the Eagles, as they dominated against Cardinal Gibbons High School on March 4, winning 27-2. The Eagles took an early lead in the game and could not be stopped. 

“At first I was a bit nervous going into the game,” wing position Harjith Pradeep said. “Once we were up we were just messing around.” 

That win led the Eagles to start their season 2-1. Meanwhile, the women’s water polo team has started their season 1-1.

Practice is the main reason why the Eagles have improved and won their last two games.

“If you’re still new to the sport you need to learn the spacing of the game, the simple movements, and not to crowd your teammate,” Abraham said. “As for the improvement, it’s a function of practice.”

This year has been out of the ordinary for the Eagles due to COVID-19. The team has taken precautions to ensure safety among the players, similar to the precautions that other teams at MSD such as the swim team have been taking. 

“We have been getting our temperature checked during every practice and game, we also need to wear masks if we are not in the pool,”  Pradeep said. He was surprised that the season is happening after all and is grateful that the season can happen.

On Saturday, March 17, The Eagles will take on the South Plantation High School Paladins The Paladins, who are 2-2, recently lost to Western High School on March 4. The Eagles are looking to get a win and improve to 3-1.

Hopes are high for the Eagles to keep their winning streak alive. The team has a long season ahead of them and they are excited to see what they can do.