ICC provides increased requirements

Leading up to the parade and other homecoming festivities, members of the Junior class show their school pride. (Photo by Stephanie Kaine)

In attempt to rule out unnecessary clubs that do not contribute as a positive impact on the school, Student Government has proposed additional rules for each club. The regulations include that each club must participate in a school betterment project each quarter of the school year in order to be recognized as a club on campus.

For the first semester, clubs must march in the homecoming parade and assist in the harvest drive. During the rest of the year, clubs will do school-wide campus clean ups and paint murals throughout the school.

“Save What’s Left is planning a school clean up including other clubs, hopefully we will have Politics Club, Key Club, National Honors Society and Science Honors Society,” Save What’s Left President Ryan Flemming said.

To confirm that each club is beneficial to the the school, once a month on Professional Study Days, the clubs will send representatives to speak about their projects in a conference run by the Inter Club Council (ICC). These meetings last about one hour, clubs will discuss topics such as what can be done to accommodate the school and how to achieve this.

“The main purpose of ICC is to foster an interior community council and the main purpose of that is to get every school club on one basis and serving the school,” District Rule Barrington McFarlane said.

The Broward County Code of Conduct states that a club must support the school and the community. This rules gives each club an additional purpose within the MSD campus and encourages increased collaboration between clubs.

“During the first ICC meeting, we went over the requirements to be a club in good standing at the school,” French Club President Jordan Frengut said.

The regulations have existed in the past, but this is the first year they have been strictly enforced. Many agree that these regulations will majorly contribute to the school’s appearance and help the clubs communicate more efficiently.

“This campus is in dire need of being cleaned and being kept cleaned by not just the staff, but also the students,” Save What’s Left Sponsor Shawna Wecht said.

The ICC will not only benefit the school, but it can bring different people from separate school organizations together, causing students to join additional clubs and become more involved in extracurricular activities within the school.

View Comments (1)
$655
$1200

$655
$1200

• W

Word of the peopleOct 19, 2016 at 6:06 am

ICC is in the opinions of not just i but many students overbearing proposes unnecessary actions on most topics are service projects really service if they are mandatory and students who are not comfortable walking in a parade should they be forced to. in my opinion this makes students feel pressured when they join extracurricular activities in a bad way. “The main purpose of ICC is to foster an interior community council and the main purpose of that is to get every school club on one basis and serving the school,” i feel this is incorrect the point of clubs is not to accommodate the school and work for it, clubs are run by students for students and assisting the students feel comfortable, accomplish goals and create new social ties within the community of students fostered by other students. in conclusion ICC is becoming to powerful in telling whether or not a club can or cannot exist and how it must provide service for the school, as long as the club is not harmful to the students and the running of the school overall it should be allowed to exist unrestricted to better aid the student within the club

Reply