After the Colts gain possession of the ball, linebacker James Ross (43) grabs onto Colts player (6) with the ball, successfully tackling him with the rest of the Eagles. The first quarter of MSD and Coral Springs annual Pig Bowl was slow for both teams and ended in the Eagles favor at a score of 2-0.
After the Colts gain possession of the ball, linebacker James Ross (43) grabs onto Colts player (6) with the ball, successfully tackling him with the rest of the Eagles. The first quarter of MSD and Coral Springs’ annual Pig Bowl was slow for both teams and ended in the Eagle’s favor at a score of 2-0.
Anna Horowitz

MSD Eagles varsity football team emerges victorious at Pig Bowl

The annual varsity football Pig Bowl game took place on Friday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. at Cumber Stadium at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. For the first win of the season, MSD defeated Coral Springs High School 23-14.

The Pig Bowl is a tradition that’s repeated every year against Coral Springs High School. The losing team’s principal has to kiss a pig at the end of the game which is how it got its name the Pig Bowl.

The opening ceremony started in moderate rain; five MSD JROTC officers stood in the downpour as players on both sides stood for the presentation of colors. The Eagle Regiment left the game immediately to avoid damaging their equipment and the game continued in light rain.

The first two quarters were slow with the first half ending in a 2-0 score in the Eagles’ favor.

The Eagles started with the ball, running back Ben McCullars 3rd (3) running the first ball of the game. Near the end of the first half, defensive end Ryan Cruz (99) and defensive tackle Jonah Lenamon (59) made a safety, gaining the Eagles their first two points of the game.

There was not much advancement for the second quarter. At the end of the quarter, the Colts had a big interception that gave them great field position.

After halftime was when the game started to pick up and both teams started scoring. Eagles kicker Rocco Duygulu (32) made the initial kick after halftime and the Colts received the ball, advancing and making their first down of the game.

The Colts made a touchdown two minutes after, gaining six points. They had a successful two-point conversion, making the score 2-8.

Wide receiver Ethan Senko (19) caught the return, and the Eagles gained possession of the ball once again. McCullars 3rd advances the ball and the Eagles’ drive succeeds, making it near the end zone.

Quarterback Ryan Spallina (15) received the ball and made a 29-yard run, soon after making a 10-yard touchdown run in the Colt’s end zone, tying the score at 8-8. With one minute left, the Eagles made another rushing touchdown and recovered a fumble, upping the score eight points. The final score of the quarter was 16-8.

“We started off slow in the first half, and I just told these guys that we gotta come out in the second-half strong and keep calm and do our stuff day in and day out and we got it done out there tonight,” Spallina said.

The Colts started the ball for the fourth quarter but the Eagles gained possession of the ball once more. defensive back and wide receiver Nolan Alba (16) caught the Colts throw before it was out-of-bounds.

“I had some good tackles because I ran the offense,” Alba said. “[We have to] get better offense and practice, gotta get better.”

With one minute left on the clock, Spallina made another touchdown, gaining the team six points. Duygulu successfully made the extra point.

With 30 seconds left on the clock with a 23-8 score, the Colts made a touchdown, increasing the score six points to 23-14 but not enough to win over the Eagles.

The game ended in celebration and excitement, as this was the first win of the season for the Eagles varsity football team and the first win for the new coach Keith Heindsley.

“We challenged our kids this week to get better, they got better and gave themselves an opportunity to win the game,” Heindsley said.

After both teams lined up in a show of sportsmanship, the pig, Petunia, was brought to the field and the Eagles rushed the field, crowding around the pig pen and watching as Coral Springs High School’s Principal Vivian Suarez kissed Petunia.

After the initial celebration on the rain soaked field, the Eagles took a knee and huddled together, saying a prayer and leaving the field motivated for their next game against Jupiter High School on Friday, Oct. 13.