Carolina Ochoa Lozano
MSD women’s volleyball team power through their game with hard work and dedication. Eagles look to continue their winning streak.

Womens’ junior varsity volleyball captains lead the team through an undefeated season

The captains of the womens’ junior varsity team at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School are known leaders and have guided the team to an undefeated season so far.

Outside hitter Samantha Orr (9), setter Gracy Fraysure (2), setter Rya Shahbazi (8) and middle Lindsay Rogalla (7) are all considered to be the established captains for their team.

The first captain of the MSD JV team is Orr. Volleyball is a huge factor in Orr’s life, both for her club and her school. She is also involved in many other school activities other than volleyball. She is the assistant photo editor for Aerie yearbook and a participating member of DECA, where she has competed at a state and international level. She balances her time by staying organized and making sure she stays on top of things. Outside of school, Orr finds herself working on and off the court, dedicating herself everyday, and is a volunteer recreational volleyball coach.

Fraysure considers herself a very artistic and creative person, as one of her favorite hobbies, besides volleyball, is drawing, both on paper and digitally. Her school involvements include being a very active member in the drama club and the theater production class, and being named the publicity graphic design officer this year. Fraysure is also a part of a club volleyball team, along with MSD volleyball, and finds that volleyball is a big part of her life.

“I truly do like being a captain,” Fraysure said. “It’s a lot of responsibility and I like being able to help everyone. I feel like I’m very encouraging and I’m a very hyped up person, which helps when letting my teammates know what to do or improve on.”

The third captain of the team is Shabazi. In her freetime, she is always at the beach. When talking about volleyball, Shahbazi finds herself very involved with her club team and school team, and is always working hard to achieve her goals. Outside of volleyball, enjoys hanging with the people she loves, shopping, cooking and coaching volleyball.

“It feels good being a captain because I like the leadership position,” Shabazi explained. “I feel that I lead my team by being really loud on the floor and talking to everyone all the time and making sure everyone knows where they are. And I feel like a lot of people know that they can come and ask me stuff.”

Rogalla is the fourth captain of the JV team. Besides playing volleyball, she is highly involved in DECA and currently holds the co-Vice President of competition position. Rogalla is an active member in the Key Club and NHS. Outside of school, she enjoys reading, traveling and hanging with friends.

“It’s really nice to be on the team for three years now. It’s fun to use my leadership skills and really bring in all the new freshmen,” Rogalla said. “It’s super fun helping them grow and also growing myself. I think the main thing about being a captain is cheering them on and giving everyone confidence. There’s always more confidence to go around. The booster club has really organized a lot of fun activities and team bonding for us this year, so we’re really enjoying ourselves on and off the court.”

Considering the experience all four of these players have, they have built strong skills and relationships along the way that help with their captainship. Since there are a good amount of players on the team, it was decided that having multiple captains was the best way to go in order to make sure everyone’s voices are heard and everyone is getting the attention and help they deserve.

As a captain, it is their job to make sure everyone keeps their heads up high and take into account how they have already beaten teams including Monarch High and Fort Lauderdale.

While being a captain comes with great responsibility, Orr, Fraysure, Shabazi and Rogalla handle it with ease and clear leadership. The team is currently undefeated, and they do their best each day to make sure it stays that way. The JV team is very appreciative to have all four players as their captains and hope to continue their great season.