[Brief] Students to support drug awareness through Red Ribbon Spirit Week

Red Ribbon Week will take place from Oct. 23-27 with four dress-up spirit days total to spread awareness on drug misuse. Every school year, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s peer counseling class organizes dress-up days for Red Ribbon Week.

Red Ribbon Week is a national event that lasts from Oct. 23-31 to raise awareness on substance abuse through drug prevention activities. MSD supports this mission by encouraging students to dress in accordance with the Red Ribbon week dress-up days.

Red Ribbon Week is the nation’s largest drug awareness program and serves to educate the public on drug prevention. The non-profit was founded during 1958 and has expanded exponentially since, motivating communities to fight against drug misuse and focus on living a drug-free life.

National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics states that by the twelfth grade, 46.6% of teenagers have tried illicit drugs (2023). To prevent the use of drugs, Red Ribbon has a series of campaigns such as Red Ribbon Campaign, Red Ribbon Certified Schools, Lock Your Meds , and Safe Homes / Safe Parties. Peer counseling student, Isabella Cubillas, believes that it is important to participate in Red Ribbon Week to raise awareness on the devastating effects of substance abuse.

“I think it’s important for students to participate in Red Ribbon week because you should be aware of the consequences of using drugs,” Cubillas said.

On Monday, students are recommended to wear their favorite sports attire to “Team Up Against Drugs.” There is no school on Tuesday. On Wednesday, students should wear red to celebrate Red Ribbon week. On Thursday, students are encouraged to wear colorful and mismatched socks to fit the “Sock it to Drugs” theme. On Friday, wear MSD’s school colors, silver or burgundy, to show support for the school.