[Brief] MSD goes on secure due to nearby burglary

On Oct. 27, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School called a Secure Code at 1:11 p.m. while a burglary was happening in the surrounding area. Students were instructed to stay in class while teachers continued their lessons during the situation. A secure code was also called at neighboring school, Westglades Middle.

“There was a burglary and as a precaution we put the school on a secure, as did Westglades,” MSD principal Michelle Kefford said. “We always want to ensure that we do everything possible to keep our campus safe at all times.”

Law enforcement quickly took initiative and found a lead on the suspect. The school then called an all clear, resulting in the secure session lasting a total of eleven minutes.

According to a district email, there was no immediate threat to MSD. However, because the situation was in a nearby community, the school called a Secure to protect the safety of the students.

“It just means they’re making sure that everything in the surrounding area and the campus is secure and everyone is where they should be,” teacher Molly Garcia said.

The secure code had surprised many students, such as sophomore Zachary Eckler, who was in study hall when the Secure Code was called. 

“I was confused when the code was called, but this happens all the time,” Eckler said.

His teacher, Garcia, ensured her students remained in class when the code was announced.

“I treat it like a lockdown. You don’t know what can happen and my students are my main priority,” Garcia said.

The all clear was called at 1:21 p.m. No further information on the burglary was provided.