MSD defeats Coral Glades in last varsity football home game of regular season

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School varsity football team played against the Coral Glades High School Jaguars on Thursday, Nov. 2 at 6 p.m. for their final home game of the season. This was the fifth home game of the season and last game before the playoffs, making this their last regular season game. The theme of the night was “Hawaii,” and spectators were encouraged to wear tropical clothing such as Hawaiian shirts and floral wear.

On Nov. 1, the afternoon before the game, players and team staff repainted the Eagle’s logo in the middle of the field to celebrate the team’s last home game of the season. Since it was the last home game for seniors on the team, the bleachers were packed with friends and family cheering them on.

“[This game is] very special for me and the seniors; growing up together playing this game, you know it means a lot to us as seniors and everybody else,” quarterback Ryan Spallina (15) said.

The first quarter started with a kickoff from the Jaguars and wide receiver Ethan Senko (19) receiving the kick for the Eagles. Minutes later, Spallina scored on a rushing touchdown and kicker Rocco Duygulu (32) made the extra point, making the score 7-0.

After kicking off to the Jaguars, the Eagles were on the defense. The Eagles defense quickly stopped the Jaguars’ offense, receiving the ball. Duygulu then made a successful field goal, adding three points to the score.

The second quarter began with the Jaguars driving the ball downfield. The Jaguars scored a touchdown by the middle of the quarter but missed the extra point, making the score to 10-6.

After the Jaguars’ score, Spallina made a 48-yard rushing touchdown with Duygulu making the extra point. The first half ended with the Eagles in the lead and a score of 17-6.

“Today I just kept everybody together, tried to do my best, and even though I caught an injury, I’m the next man up, got better then hopped right back in the game,” offensive guard Anthony Rosario (65) said.

For their last football game of the season, the Eagle Regiment performed for the last time in the Eagles’ regular season during halftime with colorful props and costumes. The Eagles came back onto the windy field and warmed up, excited to finish off the last half strong.

“[Being the last home game,] it’s sad but at the end of the day, we got a game next week,” Rosario said. “You know, just cherish the moment and have a good time.”

The third quarter started with Duygulu kicking off to the Jaguars. In a connection from Spallina, wide receiver Caleb Hensley (2) scored on a passing touchdown and Duygulu made the extra point. On the Eagles’ defense, middle linebacker Joey Chiera (50) intercepted a Jaguar throw, giving the Eagles possession of the ball.

There was no progression with the score in the fourth quarter. The Eagles let the time run out as the team celebrated. The Eagles ended the game by dominating the Jaguars with an 18 point advantage and a score of 24-6.

“They improved every year. The second half of the season we’ve improved every week,” coach Keith Hindsley said. “Every week we got better. We ended up winning four games towards the end and we gave ourselves an opportunity to play another week.”

As with every other winning game, the team huddled near the goalpost and said a prayer, along with a speech from Hindsley.

“They [the team] rose up for the seniors; the seniors carried us today,” Hindsley said. “We got two games that we won, and we got some momentum going into the first round of playoffs.”

The team is now in the 2023 FHSAA Football State Championships and will be playing at Monarch High School on Thursday, Nov. 9.